Restoration video on balancing tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Restoration video on balancing tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:06 am:

I see there is a video being offered by the MTFCA on balancing tires on the T. I assume that someone has used this video, or at least watched it. Is it worth getting? Last week I installed a bunch of tires and balanced some of them using a dynamic balancing machine. It was a "learning experience " and I'm certainly not a expert yet.
I see various other videos that are intriguing as well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:18 am:

Wheel/tire balancing CAN be helpful depending on how you use your T. If your car is used primarily around town for ice cream runs, the local car show or cruise night, or parades then balancing probably would be a waste of your time and effort.

If you like to tour in your T you will find benefit in balancing resulting in a smoother ride. Just as a balanced engine runs smoother and can turn slightly higher RPM, the balanced wheels Really Do make the car smoother and because it is not shaking itself and you to pieces the ride is more enjoyable and, perhaps, you could see a slightly higher cruising speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:35 am:

I suspect the MTFCA videos were made before balancing beads for the tubes like Dynabeads and Counteract became available?

After that it's easy to balance narrow wheels like on Model T's and motorcycles, just pour in the suggested amount while vibrating the valve, then fill up air and drive. No unbalance ever from the wheels at any speed with my T :-)

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/wheel-balancing-beads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Hoekstra - Katy TX on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Hunter BalancerHunter BalancerBack in the 1950's I graduated from highschool and my first job was in an auto body shop. A side business was front end alignment and wheel balancing. One of my tasks was wheel balancing with on an On Car Hunter Balancer. Back then the the standard wheel on virtually every car of that vintage was stamped steel slotted. The balancer was attached to wheel via hooks that passed through the slots. The front wheel was then spun up to 100mph and the correct weight was dialed by means of four knobs on a common axis. The knobs controled the position of 2 internal weighted arms inside the balancer housing. Rotational displacement vectoring of the 2 arms determined the mass and position of the location where the wheel was to be placed. By tuning with the four knobs, the vibration unbalance would be eliminated. When the wheel stopped spinning, the weight could be read out on an indicator on the balancer and the lead weight affixed to the rim.

In like manner, the rear wheel was balanced. This was done buy jacking up the rear wheel to balanced and a second person would run the speed up to 50mph on the speedometer. Because the rpms were doubled through the differential, the wheel speed was 100mph. It was an amazing piece of equipment. Problem cars would come into shop that had been balance with a bubble balance or an off car balancer. Invariably, the little Hunter would correct problems. To the point that it corrected harmonics generated by the drive shaft since it was tuning the entire rotating mass of the drivetrain. When fancy cast wheels came out, it lost favor in the industry. That and liability it presented if the balancer ever came loose from the wheel and caused mayhem in the shop at a 100mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

That Hunter Balancer brings back memories. I did a lot of Pontiac wheels during 1969-70. After an initial setting, the trick was to put your forehead against the fender to fine tune the balance. The thought of it now scares the heck out of me with the wheel adaptor and tool spinning next to your face. The one the shop had did not have hooks through the wheel. It fit by a camed friction ring on the ID surface of the wheel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration