75 mph speedometer 1925 T ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 75 mph speedometer 1925 T ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Now that the legal is over it's time to clear out Dads Garage so Was this speedometer used in the Model t I have been told 1925 but 75 seems a little high for a T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

Not all that unusual, even modern cars have speedometers that register faster than they will go.If you figure that the most accurate area is the middle 75% that would be about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

I don't believe Model T's were ever fitted with speedometers as standard. That is an accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Thank you I am not up on the later T stuff Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

Would be great for a potent speedster :-)

Gary - early T's from 1910 up through the 1915 model year were fitted with speedometers as standard equipment, except for some time in 1914 when the suppliers couldn't catch up with Ford's production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Thanks Roger.

The encyclopedia is not crystal clear on that point. It states speedometers were optional in early 09, but never explicitly states if or when they became standard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Roger stated it accurately - speedometers were standard for most of the brass era cars with the exceptions that he noted.

The AC speedometer Colin posted a photo of was not intended as a Model T accessory. Speedometers were designed and sold specifically for Model T Fords by several manufacturers. They were quite common accessories on new Fords for every year that they were not standard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, Arizona on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

That model AC speedometer was common in other makes of the era. This one is on a 1926 Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

Colin, I believe they also were used on mid-20s Chebys, maybe other GM cars of that era and. on my 1925Gray (not Dort).

Does this work? Most were pot metal and, well, you know what happens to that stuff.

If it works and you want to get rid of it, I might be interested. i could use it on my Gray.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

The speed was/is not important, odometer mileage is, and could be fairly accurate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Well think about the speed a Chadwick was running circa 1910 . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:36 am:

I have a Stewart speedometer that was used for the mid '20s T's, and it goes up to 75mph. The one I have in my '25 goes to 60mph, and I'll never go that fast either!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Augustinovich on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 07:30 am:

I had the Touring headed down a decline with a strong tail wind and the speedometer read 63 MPH. Never again. Bad part was the stop sign!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Brown on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:05 am:

Montana 500 car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Hey Dan some Montana 500 cars could peg that speedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Ya, Dan and the rest of guys running the M 500 would need a faster one than that on his car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Marty,I caught that and stand corrected! Its been a while! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Brown on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

"Hey Dan some Montana 500 cars could peg that speedo"

Shh we don't want to bring down the wrath of the forum safety police.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration