Leak at the fuel line/sediment bulb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Leak at the fuel line/sediment bulb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

I'm dealing with a leak where the NEW brass fitting threads onto the outlet of the sediment bowl. I thought the threads were 1/4" pipe. The fittings I can find don't get tight on the tapered threads before bottoming out. Otherwise my bulb looks like new. Thread sealant?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

If memory serves me well, I think this is a straight pipe thread and not the normal tapered pipe thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Do you have the felt packing in place inside the nut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

I have had good luck with the felt packing, but the vendors also sell a neoprene packing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Even with the felt packing I put a light layer of Loktite 567 on the sediment bowl threads. No leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Put some of this http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ezturnlube.php?clickkey=218206 on the part that goes into the sediment bowl. It lubricates the threads and helps to seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 12:45 am:

I guess I have the wrong fitting. Mine is a female 1/4" pipe (tapered) to 5/16 compression. No packing. Will I be able to find the right , non-tapered pipe fitting at a hardware store?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 12:54 am:

Do I need # 2910 and 2913 (Langs)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:02 am:

I used the method shown in the lower photo.. neoprene inside the pack nut. I used a thin coat of EZ-TURN on the threads and there is no leak anywhere. good stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:05 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:07 am:

Tommy: Yes, I made my own version of the 2913N neoprene gaskets from a piece of fuel hose in my stash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 08:24 am:

Tommy, neither the brass side piece on the sediment bulb or the brass elbow on the carburetor are machined to allow a compression fitting to seal. The acorn will compress onto the pipe, but it will not conform to the cast surfaces on the T fittings.
You need to use either of the suggested gaskets. I do as Roger K does.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Permetex Fuel Resistant sealant works amazingly well. I have used it on several fittings that wouldn't seal. https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-permashield -fuel-resistant-gasket-dressing-flange-sealant/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration