Rear Spring for 1920 Centerdoor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear Spring for 1920 Centerdoor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

I have been looking at the vendor websites to purchase a rear spring for a 1920 Centerdoor sedan. Does anyone know the correct style for these early sedans? Is a 8-leaf or 9-leaf correct?

Thanks so much for your help.

Mike Hanson
Kingwood, Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

I used a 24 four door sedan rear spring on a 21 centerdoor as the original one was sagging badly. I believe the sedans had a higher arch spring but don't quote me on that. I don't remember the spring count but 9 or 10 leafs doesn't seem out of the question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:03 am:

Ford used the same style 8 leaf rear spring on all cars 1918-27 except for '26/'27 Sedans and some roadster pickups that got a 9 leaf spring.

A good used spring shouldn't be hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:14 am:

Checked the encyclopedia. Seems like the 9 leaf was added for Sedans already in 1922, so you may opt for one as an upgrade depending whether you're planning to fill the rear seat with heavy passengers or not :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 09:29 am:

What is the advantage of a 9-leaf spring over an 8-left spring? Why did Ford switch (anybody know)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 09:52 am:

The sedan is the heaviest body Ford used on the T chassis and the roads were still rough in many areas back in the 1920's. Thus it's not hard to imagine a customer desire to get a heavier duty rear spring.
Another sedan special feature was the 4:1 rear axle ratio offered from 1920 on for heavy cars in some hilly areas, making it possible to pull more hills in high.

The roadster pickup would also have been overloaded by many owners giving a reason for a heavier duty spring. Though most roadster pickups left the factory as roadsters, the buyer often bought the pickup bed as a spare part after registring, for tax reasons - there was an extra tax on pickup trucks, so there may be few of them with the nine leaf spring, depending on Ford's actual practice (?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Thanks Roger for clarifying the question. If anyone would like to know the difference in the ride of a 9 leaf vs. an 8 leaf, I'll be happy to give you a ride in my '25 pickup!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration