Du4 duplex and Du4 Dual... Why the difference?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Du4 duplex and Du4 Dual... Why the difference?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 02:05 am:

I have both a Du4 Duplex, and a Du4 dual (not 2 spark) they have different names and different looking points covers. What is the difference between the two? I thought that they both enable you to start on battery, then switch over to magneto. Both mags are the early brass Du4s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

I'm really curious how these work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

I believe the duplex has a commutator and requires a separate coil connected to the switch while the dual can operate with a coil or without. My Chalmers-Detroit has a dual magneto and I can start and run on the coils in the Heinze coil box or start and run on the magneto. I use an impulse to crank start on magneto because it is hard to spin a 40 hp motor without a compression release but starting on the coils is a snap.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration