11 Leaf Rear Spring Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 11 Leaf Rear Spring Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 08:35 am:

A friend of mine called last night saying he got an 11 leaf rear spring at a local swap meet. He's going to put it in his usually overtaxed Depot Hack.

His question to me, which I could not answer, was, what T's came with an 11 leaf rear spring? He says there are no duplicate leaves, so it doesn't appear to be a made-up thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 08:41 am:

10 leaf for Depot Hack was the most I believe. Perhaps home made setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 08:54 am:

9 leaf for sedans (1922 on) and roadster pickups from start 1925 are the heaviest duty T springs that came from Ford assembly lines. Anything may have been done by outside suppliers or creative smiths. http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Thanks guys. Probably an aftermarket thing then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

TT perhaps? I don't know that much about them. Just a guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:00 am:

I've only seen originals with 8 and 9. You can add more leafs to any spring to make it stiffer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Dave,
TT rear springs are single sided, two needed per car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

Jerry,

If he is a real Friend, then tell him to maybe think twice before putting it on his Hack.

My hack had a snapped leaf...was replaced with a complete new 9 leaf rear...and it is as springy as...a rock!

My Hack is a little light in the end, (John Seiger builds them about 18" shorter than the originals to make the proportions look 10 times better) but even empty it is like a rock and even with the back seat loaded it is like a rock.

On country roads and decent blacktop without pot-holes it is fine...get on that 'concrete ribbon' of the state highways with the expansion strips and you go numb in the fingers at 10 miles, toothaches at 15 miles, and mindless at about 25!

The good news is that if he tries it anyway...he can always remove a leaf here and there later until it works...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon F. Hall on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

My Depot Hack chassis has a 10 leaf rear spring that appears to have been supplied by the Hack Body maker.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration