Somewhat OT - Non-Ford Magneto Help Needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Somewhat OT - Non-Ford Magneto Help Needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas M. Edfors on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Brass-era Model T owners may be able to help me with this problem. My 1915 T typically shares the garage with a 1909 Regal. But the Regal is 'dead' as the Remy Model L magneto has quit. I have dealt with almost every so-called expert magneto shop and can't get anyone to fix it. It has gone to an expert In Manitowoc, WI who made it worse and now it is at a famous magneto store in the Chicago area who promised to fix it but after nine months they still have not looked at it. Too busy they say.

First, is there anyone out there who can, and will, repair it? It appears it needs the winding re-wound and the magnets need to be energized again. Can anyone help? Or, does anyone have a fully functional Remy L with clockwise rotation they would sell me.

Another alternative is a different magneto of the same era. I have been told a Bosch DU 4 could be great but where does one get a fully functional one that is clockwise rotation? I will not deal with the so called magneto experts again. They want to sell you junk at a high price and one is still left finding someone to rebuild it. No solution. Can anyone help here?

A third alternative is a more modern magneto, again a later Bosch is recommended. I have seen, I think, these mounted on other brass cars, including a 1912 Oakland (I have a photo of that one). Is anyone familiar with this type of magneto and where does one find a working one?

I know very little about magnetos and I am assuming I will have difficulty mounting one and timing it. I really will need help when this time comes. Anyone in the Wisconsin area who would be kind enough to help?

Lots of requests here on my part but I must get this car ready to tour for the coming season. I need a reliable magneto. The car is a driver and will never be a show car so authenticity is not as important as a functioning, reliable magneto. Please help me if you can. Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Hi Thomas. I am not familiar with the Remy Model L, but am quite familiar with the Remy Model S that is on my 1911 Oakland. The Model S is a "low tension" magneto. In other words, it produces a low voltage that is sent to a coil to kick it up to high voltage. It is then sent back to the end of the magneto which acts like a distributor to send the high voltage to the spark plugs at the right time. I imagine the Model L is similar.

The Bosch DU 4 is an exceptional magneto. It, however, is a "high tension" magneto meaning that it produces the high voltage directly so there is no need for a coil to kick it up. That would be an easy way to get it going for now, then if you wanted a more correct ignition later you could work on getting the Remy system up and running.

As far as timing, it is not too difficult as long as you are able to find top dead center for the number 1 cylinder. We can deal with that later once you have a working magneto to work with. You can PM me to discuss this further if you would like.

Steve Hughes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Thomas,Did you try : Mainely Magnetos.com
Greetings
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

Thomas:

Are you the fellow that owns the IHC J-30s?

My dad's IHC Model F roadster has a low tension Remy magneto (I can't remember which letter).

The magnets on those Remy low tension magnetos are notorious for loosing their charge over time. Eventually, Remy equipped them with a quick release mechanism on the strap that holds magnets for ease of removal.

I am not an expert. However, the first thing I would do is determine if the coil on the dashboard is still good. If it is, then I would concentrate on simple stuff such as loose connections, the points on the make-and-break mechanism, checking the carbon brush/button under the timer cover, etc.

Then I would re-charge the magnets and then see if it works before going whole hog on actually rebuilding the magneto.

If the coil on the dashboard is good and if your car ran on the Remy magneto before, I would think you should be able to at least run the car on battery unless there is problem with the timing or points in the magneto, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

I re-read your post and realize someone has already opened up your your magneto and made it worse so my suggestions are probably irrelevant at this point in time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

you can run the car on a modern 6 volt coil and condenser+ battery using the mag as a distributor. we have done this on a few just carry an extry battery . charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Thomas:

There's a shop in Colchester Connecticut, Mark's Magnetos that might be able to be of assistance.

I have a Holley magneto, which is made of unobtainium, and after checking around a bit everyone with whom I spoke to highly recommended Mark. My magneto is at his shop now...and I have high expectations.

Mark can be reached at 860-537-0376.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

There's also a Weaver's in Ohio, they usually have a presence at the Wauseon National Thresher's show.

I've never dealt with them, but have a couple of their pocket scratch pads with their name on it. I guess the advertising worked, huh? ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas M. Edfors on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

Hello All who responded. Sorry but my recovery went a bit backward and I lost a few days getting back up and to the computer again. I appreciate the information you sent and will be sending a few PM's. I have talked with Mark's Magnetos but, as of the last time I spoke to them, they do not want to do a Remy. I am leaning toward a Bosch DU-4, here might be a good place to get one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

See:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/151564-low-tension-remy-magnetos/

I think Mainely Magnetos than Antonie suggested is your best bet.

http://www.mainelymagnetos.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

There is A 1921 or so Dykes Manual that you can download free that has an instruction on the Remy low tension magneto:

http://www.dodgebrothersclub.org/Dykes_Automobile_and_Gasoline_Engine_En.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 12:40 am:

Another place might be;
Blue Spark Magnetos
Dennis K Peterson
503-650-4356
Oregon City, Oregon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 02:50 am:

I too have an Oakland, a 1912, that runs a Bosch DU4 Dual magneto. This is a great set up and has worked for me for over 25000 miles. It is the correct era magneto for your car. Mark's magneto used to have the Bosch's rebuilt and on the shelf. Not cheap but that would end your problems. I've seen his work and talked to him at Hershey. He does quality work and stands behind it.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 06:58 am:

Toon and Ted have it. Mainely Magnetos. I've had stuff done, and friends have had a few done, including 1918 reo and a couple massey harris

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration