Simmons Super Power carb questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Simmons Super Power carb questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

I've looked up past threads, but I can't find an answer. This carburetor seems simple, but it has some extras that I can't figure out. I think it was one that had a heating element in the front. Any information appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

You are right,they had a heating element in the intake,and a flapper to help with idle. The one shown,is rebuild-able but in very rough condition. Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

I think somebody had worked on it before because the spray nozzle and needle seat came right out, no soaking in penetrating oil or heat needed. The top is broken where the spray needle goes in. I may fool with it later on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

You can make a new tower,and Silver -solder it on. I have done one on an NH. Do you have the needle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

No, it didn't have the needle. It's shorter than an NH needle but wonder if I could cut off an NH needle and sharpen the tip?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

I can make you a new one,but give me a few days

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:56 am:

I would get a better core and use that one for parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:24 am:

I'll just hang on to it in case I run across another someday. I got it by accident. I couldn't tell what it was from the picture on eBay I got a couple sway back NH's and a L4, I thought maybe that was a straight through NH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:51 am:

So how did the coil get hot?? Electrically?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

There was a round coiled element that circled the inside of the throat of the carburetor. I've seen pictures, I guess a wire went to a switch somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Yes, electrically.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

View of the coil used to heat the vapor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

The earlier thread on that carb suggested that coil often causes an engine fire and it should be removed and the hole tapped to insert a small screw, probably a size 6.

I have always wanted to try one of those carbs, but I have never found a good one.

I'm not sure anyone rebuilds them and the needle valve that lets gas in the bowl is not available either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

The electric part looks dangerous to me. The float and needle/ seat are identical to the NH. Simmons float and needle seat to the left of same NH parts. Somebody painted the inside of the bowl, bottom of carburetor and float black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

See, you learn something every day, if you read the MTFCA Forum and pay attention.

My Simmons valve looked different for some reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Jack Daron, who posted on this thread earlier, rebuilt mine. Did a great job. He had to make a new flapper for mine, the original was broken in half.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration