Another thought on the OCF issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Another thought on the OCF issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:29 am:

Not to keep dragging this issue but here's a thought, Maybe some of the vintage car buff's that have the financial means just hold the OCF somewhere else. I understand why it's held where it is today but is that really all that important in the long run? Maybe mid way of the United States so it would be equal driving for all people. This way it could be set up for just that one purpose. I don't think that the name OCF is a trademark, If it is just call it something else. If you build it they will come!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:13 am:

Hey Will,

Thank you for your hospitality while I am in town.

I am sitting at McDaddy's waiting to have my diesel injectors to be replaced - started the truck this morning & everything is fine - go figure .

If you are still going to that swap meet Saturday I would like to tag along.

Florida Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Trzcinski on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Sounds like a good idea to me. THF is not the only place that can host a pre war car show. There are others that do. Maybe everyone who is not attending should do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners comes to mind... they already have a show strictly for original pre-war cars, the Donald J. Gilmore Classic. This year it is May 19th and 20th, includes a Friday driving tour, and parking is not an issue, nor is camping. This is the weekend after the AACA Auburn meet so perhaps it would be a great way to make a week of the whole thing, stay in the area and enjoy both shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Trzcinski on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:58 am:

I heard that one is a good one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:19 am:

I also think it a good idea for MTFCA to put support behind this or other alternate for this type of program. Whether THF has poorly delegated this responsibility within their ranks, or whether somebodies have gotten too big for their britches, clear is that this is a collectively assuming bunch who do not get it. Sorry to take them off our list for at least this year, but there is an embarrassing lack of appreciation here that is insulting to the individuals and clubs people who have paid THF's way.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:33 am:

The Gilmore Red Barns is a great place and a very nice event.When you have a small swap meet with the event i think that is also good.I have been to both the OCF and the Gilmore but it would take a lot of work to make the Gilmore rival the OCF! Very nice people at the Gilmore but i doubt they could handle everything involved? Bud.PS,The OCF in my string of 19 years was never just a car show!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Yes, the Gilmore Classic in the spring is a great event. We attended for the first time in 2016, and plan to make it a tradition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

I'm not sure that I have any right to say this as I've never been and doubt that I would, but I usually tell people to vote with their wallets. If enough people boycott this gathering and find something else to spend their hard earned money on, it will either improve or die out - the latter being key as once there is a good thing going the people making money from it will also support your opinion on that event. Just my opinion again and may not be worth the $.02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Ed, I'll see you there. I'll be in the maroon '39 Packard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Furthering Mr. Wetherbee's comment, ... a closely timed event to compete
with the OCF might prove a stiffer hill to climb at first (OCF has momentum),
but could likely be it's downfall, IF a dedicated group with a DEDICATED mission
to build a participant-first experience is judiciously held to.

Offer the fun and accessibility that OCF is cutting back on and siphon all the
fun away. Let OCF have their high-fallootin', elitist show all by themselves.

I think it imperative to set any such wheels in motion with a caveat that it will
remain a show as originally intended and not be hijacked as the OCF has been
by newcomers with a bag of "better ideas", or this scenario might see itself
repeated in 20 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

It would be hard to duplicate the Old Car Festival outside of Greenfield Village. Where else can you drive your vehicle past the Wright Bros Shop down past places like Thomas Edison's laboratory or waving at people as you drive by as they stand in the front yard of young Henry Ford's house. The Gas light Parade is a one of a kind experience as the cars drive down those evening streets of history. It would be pretty hard to duplicate that feeling of going back in time and becoming part of it. Greenfield village is as much part of this experience to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Fred,Not to forget the shops,demos,and the car games! If you like steam there is the working Roundhouse and railroad.Hard to explain,but it was always far more than a simple car show! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

I don't believe anyone is trying to duplicate or wants to duplicate Greenfield Village and I doubt that can be done or should be done. But I think if enough people want to gather in friendship and have fun driving and displaying cars then some place needs to be found and a group of volunteers need to organize the event. It would take several years to develop and I doubt there is enough time to do it this year.

Aw hell everyone just come over to my house and we will throw some hot dogs on the grill and drive our cars and party! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

From my understanding there are two things that make the OCF special: Greenfield Village and the vehicles.

The village provides a setting that is fantastic for showing the vehicles.

The vehicles and vehicle owners turn the village into a magical happening during the OCF.

It seems that the organizers have decided that the village is more important than the vehicles and participants. They have even become more selective in which vehicles they allow to participate and treat the participants poorly.

They can get away with it for awhile but when the participants get tired of being treated poorly they will either go elsewhere or just stay home.

Greenfield Village cannot be duplicated, and we will remember the good old days of the OCF but we can hope that something else will replace it.

Wouldn't it be great if some city or town in the center of the US would come up with Old Car Days, treat the participants with respect, everyone could have fun, and the local restaurants, hotels, businesses, etc. could make some money.

Sometimes there is a silver lining in the dark cloud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

I really wish and hope that the powers that be at THF read this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

I have to wonder if the insurance company that handles the OCF said to downsize? There were two incidences last year, one was a mother and child getting thumped by a car and the other was one of the village "T's" got rear-ended. Not to mention a car got its tires stuck in the railroad track crossing and forced the train to make a emergency stop. (not sure if that wasn't the year before?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Don, the Village Model T drivers are maniacs on the road. I realize they may have a timed/scheduled run, but, man most of them zip around that Village with little regard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Not that this situation is necessarily similar at all, but recall the Ft. Lauderdale example some years ago, when hotels, restaurants and other guest services, got together and told the spring break kiddies they didn't want their kind of business anymore? 2 years later these same now noticeably thinner business leaders lined with their hats in hand, begging them to come back...Lesson possibly learned, be careful what you wish for.
I wonder if there are Dearborn guest services businesses reading this, and whether you think this could become a negative image thing that impacts you?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:51 am:

I would think this whole thing comes down to Lawyers. :-(
God knows you can turn over almost any rock these days and find one!
Lawyers suck the marrow from the bone's of life........need I say more! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

I think rather than deal with a huge success and a few problems that came with it someone who's job it was to run the OCF decided rather than do their job they passed it off! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Lawyers and lazy people make for an expensive disaster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Trzcinski on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Marty, Maybe you should Sarah the links to these topics, lol. I mean it is a open forum and the powers that be could read the talk thats going on out there.

MIKE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Trzcinski on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

ooops typo, meant send Sarah lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Mike, I thought of that, but, I hesitate because I did mention to her all the concern on the forum(s). I guess if they really care, they'll look at them. I can only hope.

Plus, I can't help believe that people who work at the THF like the present Curator of Transportation, Matt Anderson, already read the forum(s).

Anyway, I'm already being accused of "stirring the pot" (although I didn't make the changes!!!) and the last thing I want is to make any enemies of the friends I still have there.

I just want to open a dialogue with them. I, and a lot of others, have a pretty big chunk of our lives invested in both events.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration