BAD gas ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: BAD gas ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:58 am:

How can you tell if you might have bad gas? I`m kind of suspect with the gas still remaining in my 250 Gal. farm tank, last filled 9 months ago. I did add StayBill but not quite the ratio suggested....Is its there any good way to know if its still OK? Thanks for your response/suggestions---Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:04 am:

I don't know about the gas in Ohio, but on a tour in central California, we stopped for gas. Soon after, the car started to run rough and stopped. I drained the sediment bulb and it ran OK for a while. Several cars which got gas at that same station had problems, but those who got gas at the station across the road, did not.

If water gets into the gas, it will settle to the bottom of the tank and usually if you drain the sediment bulb it will drain out the water. I have been told that the gas which contains ethanol will separate and water will form. I haven't had a problem with my cars which I drive around town.

So, if the gas in your tank separates, or if water seeps into the tank, you will have trouble.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Paul,

Did you get bulk delivery ?

How old is your tank ?

It could be water in your tank that was existing or water in the fuel delivery or condensation forming since then or water somehow leaking in ...

You can try & draw a sample to be tested by whoever delivers your fuel.....

Florida Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:37 am:

There is a paste that you can smear on the end of your measuring stick that changes color if you have water in your gas. We used it all the time at the filling station. We would get it from our fuel supplier and test our tanks once a month. You may want to check with your supplier sometimes they will test it for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:53 am:

I don't know when the change begins, but really old gas smells awful. Not like gas at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

I wouldn't worry about 9 month old gas. You can tell it's getting bad when it begins to smell like varnish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

How can you tell if you have bad gas? Well, you get really bad stomach pains and then no one wants to be near you.

(Someone had to say it!!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

... and it would have to be you Marty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

Bad gas will also cause your intake valves to stick in the open position. The voice of experience!! Texas T Party 2016.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

This new gas seems like it's only good for 3_5 months and your carbs gummed up and it stinks. I have started draining my bowls or running the gas out of the carb until the engine dies off. Gas is terrible now if your store it very long. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:28 am:

"How can you tell if you might have bad gas? I`m kind of suspect with the gas still remaining in my 250 Gal. farm tank, last filled 9 months ago. I did add StayBill but not quite the ratio suggested....Is its there any good way to know if its still OK?"

Ask your fuel supplier, see what they have to say about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

https://shop.b3cfuel.com/ Found this "mechanic in a bottle test swab kit" Ordered it for $3.49 It tests for water and gas "quality" Anxious to give it a try when it arrives....nice solution if its reliable. Thanks for the above responses--Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

That stuffs getting up there in age Paul. Not sure what you can do with it if it's already giving you trouble. Forget the stabil. It doesn't help a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

I've never used Stabil but my friend said he put it in his bobcat welder. We went to go weld something the other day after it had sat for a few months. Then after we took the carburetor apart and put it back, it started. An electric needle valve that shuts off the gas was stuck closed. I never can afford enough gas at once to worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

I have not tried it in my T but wonder how well it would run with aviation 100 low lead.
It doesn't go bad like auto gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

Here's a visual of what's going on with the gas. Water on bottom and gas is cloudy. Car has been sitting a few months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

You could probably pump out the water in the tank but that color looks like he**. Old fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

One of the issues with ethynol in the gas is that it is OK for closed systems like your modern car that uses fuel injectors from a sealed tank and goes through it in a few weeks.
In carb systems where it is exposed to air after the engine shuts off, it turns to glue. That is why most landscapers, outboard motor operaters and owners of WWII jeeps, use ethynol free gas. I use it in my jeep and in my T.

In addition to a possible water problem, if your bulk tank has a lot of air or the lid has been left off or it is vented in some way, the air exposure may be causing some problems as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration