Question on floating rear hubs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question on floating rear hubs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Do they worked good or are lots problems?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Mine work great! They are a great safety upgrade and the fact that there is no maintenance is a real plus.

When installing, pay very close attention to the instructions. You will have to drill and tap the housing to install a bolt that holds the hubs in the axle housing. Be VERY careful to follow the instructions as regards 'where' to drill/tap. Don't ask me how I know....

Cliff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Outside brakes are a must. If an axle breaks the factory drive line brake becomes useless as a service brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

I installed some last winter. Great safety improvement. No more leaking axle seals on to your outside brakes. The replacement bearing is a common item.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Albert,

What Mike says about brakes is good advice but really has little to do with floating hubs. Or maybe I misunderstand his point?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

My safety comment comes from the fact that these hubs eliminate strain on the axle, so there is less possibility of snapping an axle. The hub carries the weight of the car, not the axle.

Also, should an axle snap you don't lose the wheel.

Cliff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

I've only ever seen one rear axle break and that was 1/2 way on the taper, no bearing style was going to stop that wheel from coming off.
No doubt there is several designs in floating bearings, I removed the set up on one of my T's as over the years the rear wheels slowly gained camber and looked like the housings had bent from the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Have seen a few broken axles on tours.

IMO most could be attributed to bad wheel hub taper, or loose wheel by letting the axle nut get slack allowing the wheel to rock on the taper of the axle shaft outboard of the bearings. Or perhaps re-using an original worn axle with bad taper and/or wear from decades of use.

Typical busted off axle @ taper, note the wear patterns on the taper.

This one, with a replacement type of bearing,
still broke at the taper of the axle shaft.

While floating hubs relieve axle stress by design, there can be compromise of the wheel hub fit on the taper of the axle.

Using only a very good or even new wheel hub, and a new axle, IMO, likely provides the most assurance against typical axle failure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

There is another significant plus to floating rear axles. You can use an axle which is too worn to run Hyatt type roller bearings. As long as the taper and the keyway are good, a worn journal on the outside end is in-consequential.Deduct the price of a pair of new axles from the cost of the floating hubs, and it is not a bad deal.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Thanks all you guys. Very good information. Al from Wisconsin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Jerry,

I guess in the case of an axle break the factory brake is useless no mater the type of hub. I claim O.S. brake are a necessity because with safety hubs, the car doesn't fall to the ground halting momentum. Safety hubs will free wheel.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Mike, actually the service brake will work if the axle breaks, no matter whether the break is on the taper or inside the housing.

The floating hub assembly is captured inside the axle housing - it cannot slide out unless the lock bolt is loosened.

The brake drum, wheel hub, and wheel bolt directly to the floating hub assembly. So even if the axle breaks, the hub+wheel+brake drum all remain securely in place.

I would encourage anyone who has doubt or questions to visit texastparts.com and read the installation guide. The guide is well written and illustrated.

I do agree completely that supplemental brakes are necessary in today's traffic, especially in urban areas.

Cliff

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration