Santa Clara 2017 Endurance Run

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Santa Clara 2017 Endurance Run
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob meneely on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

The Santa Clara Valley Endurance Run for 2017 will be in a new venue, out of the city and into the country around Hollister, CA. It is a Reunion Run, with an invitation to all 1927 and earlier speedster/racers. Santa Clara's stringent entry rules have been relaxed for this event to admit cars that might not otherwise qualify because of aftermarket accessories or parts that were not available in 1927. See the club website (http://www.scvmtfc.org)for entry information and the general rules. Call or email if you have questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

So what has been "relaxed" I looked thru the site but could find nothing regarding items that have been not allowed or frowned on. Tube shocks, down draft carb(s), juice brakes, disc brakes, finned heads, alternators, later transmissions, and I am sure there are some other things I am forgetting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Assuming that in 2018 my car would not be welcome, I have no desire to go where I know I won't be welcome. What's the point? Give folks an opportunity to comment on everything 'wrong' with it? I know my car and don't need your approval. It's your club, just keep it that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

I've been on this run 20+ times and have never had anything but a good experience. I fully intend to go on this run and many more. Thanks to the Santa Clara Club for putting on a major tour year end and year out. By the way, I won in 2008 in a speedster that wasn't legal for the following year. Amazingly enough it wasn't that hard to make it legal.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

I will be heading out to CA soon and will be going thru a certain speedster getting it road ready. It's been sitting for so a number of years. As the car sits now from what I've heard it would not be allowed on the run. The car has been on the run many many times since the 1980's. I have no plans to modify the car for the run but it might be nice to know if the relaxed rules would allow for it.

This is why I was wondering what might be getting "relaxed" or if there is a copy of the guidelines as to what is and is not allowed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Andy,

I think that is great for you and I have no problem with the Santa Clara Club determining their own rules for their event. I also know what I would need to do to my car to make it legal by their standards. I would need to remove or replace my ignition system, charging system, steering gear, 4 wheel brakes, shock absorbers and oil pump. Would likely also need to remove or at least cover my modern tach. My car has evolved over 20+ years. The original form had stock steering, rocky mountain brakes, a T generator and no oil pump. I could have fit the rules if I only changed the distributor. However, after finding it unsatisfactory to drive slow enough to be able to stop on demand, I upgraded the brakes. Being able to stop the rear wheels wasn't enough in my book and no vintage front brakes were available. After a trip down from Mount Evans in Colorado that was a steady death grip on the wheel, I upgraded the steering, again no vintage components available. Oh, and I still had that pesky VW distributor.

Could I revert back to Santa Clara rules - yes but there is no way I would suck all of what I consider the fun out of my car. Last year I put over 2500 miles on my speedster between organized tours, private touring, and a speedster run.

I will continue to have fun driving my car and hope you and the other speedster drivers wherever they are will enjoy theirs too.

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:47 am:

Hi Walt- I think that you will be pleasantly surprised that your car would be welcome at this years event. My car was on the speedster run for at least the 1st 15 years before it would not qualify due to the way it was equipped, as were many others.
The point is, please do not make the mistake of basing your decision to attend based on prior experience or rules from the past. I don't want to speak for the SCVMTFC but perhaps Bob will chime in with more details about this years event. Years past, many of you from the Northwest came down for the endurance run and as a result many long time friendships were forged. As Andy, I'm planning on attending this year as well- not sure I'll get to drive or even ride, but there will be a McEachern entry with McEacherns in both seats. I hope to see you there.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Bob is it ok to tag along? I am not wanting to win anything. When will it be held?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:03 am:

Thank you Dan, I appreciate the comments. I just checked the date and Mary and I will be running the back roads and forest service roads in NE Oregon on a 4 Banger 400 tour. We will be in CA in late July though for the Ryan Ramble. Maybe see you there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:13 am:

After reading there Web page it appear they prefer period correct cars. They do appear to allow safety upgrades.
There is an email on there page were I'm sure you can get exact details.
Just my understanding from what I have read.
Remember it's there event and there rules and that's the same with every event one attends.
I have to say it great they are open and upfront about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

I just checked with my unofficial source, and the plan for this years endurance run as far as equipment rules are concerned is that there is no tech committee and you will self certify your car as far as a safety check as we do for national tours. I hope this helps a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:34 am:

There use to be an event called The Speedster Run Just For Fun, does that still exist? That always sounded like a good time. Now that I am retired and have the time I can't find any info on it. The endurance run sounds like a good time but I am not sure that my car would fit in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 06:00 am:

Difficult subject. So many things to consider.
Unfortunately, I have not been close enough to the SCVMTFC for too many years now. I do not like that. They are a great bunch of people. Also, it puts me in a position where I really shouldn't be speaking for them.
But, I have always been an opinionated and outspoken SOB, so why not.

First. Volkswagen distributors, a clarification.
Yes, there were club members that wanted to ban all VW distributors. It may have happened for maybe a year maybe 20 years ago. But I do not think it ever actually happened. It was, however, threatened by some club members, and someone may have stayed away because of that. If so, I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding. While I personally do not favor them, I did run a VW adaption on one of my cars for a few years.
This, I was involved with some of the decision making meetings. I was involved with many discussions on this subject, both officially, and unofficially. The ultimate decision, was that as long as the VW (or other similar) distributor was mounted in a manner that resembled an original era after-market accessory distributor, it would be "acceptable" as a "reproduction" era accessory. More than a few people said "don't look too close". Basically, if at least at a glance, it looked like it could be an era piece, it was okay. Anybody that has looked at a lot of original era accessory distributors should have seen a few that look something like the common VW adaptions by now. I know that I have seen several, although I cannot offhand name them. A few belt driven and other odd adaptions are specifically not allowed (in recent past years).

Personally, I have mixed feelings about the change of venue. While it saddens me that they finally took the Run out of the bay area, I also know that there are many wonderful roads in the areas near Hollister. Many of the bay area clubs are taking their major tours around there. I have been there on tours a few times myself, and personally know several people that live in the area.

I would encourage anyone interested to go! I do not know just what they mean by the rules being relaxed. You should check with people directly involved at this time to see what will or won't be allowed.
I do hope what happened before, doesn't happen again. About thirty years ago, the rules got "relaxed". It almost destroyed and nearly ended the Endurance Run.
I don't know. Maybe it is a regional thing. Maybe it was just some of the wrong people were involved at that time. Other groups in other parts of the country (like the Pacific Northwest) seem to do okay without the restrictions. But when the SCVMTFC relaxed the rules? We/they got a lot of people looking for a short-term interest, and they put together some horrible piles of unsafe junk. Now, don't get me wrong. There is a place for those, and they can be a lot of fun. But it got so out-of-hand, that almost literally NOBODY with a decent car was willing to go on the run. A couple of times I went, just to see the cars (I was between running speedsters at the time). There would be only one or two that were worth looking at for more than a minute, and they belonged to friends on mine (point being, I could see those few cars any time I wanted to). Attendance dropped to less than fifteen speedsters showing up. Just for comparison, most good years have been between forty and as many as seventy cars on the Endurance Run!

It was only after a lot of discussion, many phone calls, and promises made to owners of nice speedsters, that the Endurance Run was saved and continued. For that, I would like to thank the club as a whole (and one individual that definitely should be named, but if I do, I know that several people would be offended, so I hope Ed forgives me) and as I keep going here.

I certainly wish I were going this year. I have missed too many years already. But circumstances with my family at the moment make it unlikely that I will be able to make it, again.
Maybe next year. Again. Unless the club decides to ban me?
I hope the Run this year is a huge success!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob meneely on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

About the 2017 Santa Clara Valley Model T Endurance Run, it is a Reunion Run, if you have run in the past and would like to participate, come on down. If have not run in the past and would like to participate, come on down. If you have doubts about your car, give us a call. Our only aim is for folks to participate and have fun in our new out-of-the-city venue.

As to qualification, Model T Speedsters are subject to the Santa Clara Valley Model T Club Speedster Build Guidelines but some of the stringent requirements have been relaxed for this Reunion Run. Specific areas are: Post 1927 drum and disc hydraulic brakes are permitted. Downdraft carburetors are permitted. Sherman heads are permitted. Alternators are permitted. Cog belt distributors are permitted. All other requirements of the Speedster Build Guidelines remain in effect. Car safety is paramount.

Questions have been raised about 2018, but that topic will be addressed in 2018, let's just have fun in 2017 for now.

See our website for forms and information.
www.scvmtfc.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Do you think I would be allowed to run a period looking 1912 Torpedo Roadster with the speedsters if I keep my top down and not for competition? That has been a qualifier for other speedster runs that I have been on.

Thanks, Your tour is a fabulous fun time and a chance to see some great cars. I have been on your tour before in the lowland class.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

Dennis, love your boat tail speedster and Chad...NICE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 12:20 am:

The only thing I see that you might need is a brake light. Most speedsters have a tail light, but not a brake light. Would be fun to go, but too far away. I have to stick with the Speedster Rally in the Midwest or the Speedster Reunion in Nebraska. Both of these are a lot of fun if California is too far to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 05, 2017 - 06:20 am:

Bump-

After just finishing an 8000 mile drive with trailer to bring my T parts back here there was some involvement regarding the run. While in CA I took the time to look at good old number 26 as that last picture was taken about 8 years ago and she has been in storage since. The tires were flat, points corroded, carb frozen, and water in the oil (condensation as there had been no generator). After spending a day on her with a set of tire irons, some tooling and a new battery I am pleased to report that I was able to get her up and running for my Mom. Long story short I will not be on the run this year (too far away)but she is planning on going and got signed up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robin Pharis on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 02:36 am:

I love the endurance run, no matter what the rules are. I'll build a car to match there guidelines. Working on car number 3,I think it drives me to build a better car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

This is a real fun endurance run. Every year someone moans about the rules. If you don't like them put on your own. There aren't enough to go around anyway.

P.S. Chadwick, it will be good to see your mom on the run again. I have been passed so many times by that car. Sometimes with a young boy's head sticking up the passenger side.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Robin,
Here is the original #3 speedster that ran on the 1971 Santa Clara Valley Endurance Run....lots of 3s since then.
1971 speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

John Mc G, That looks like Testa Rosa? But not quite the way I mostly remember it. I cannot at the moment remember the fellows name, it will probably come to me later today (or I could try to find some of my old Run programs). I remember the car with a slightly shorter wheel base, and Jaxon 21 inch steel disc wheels. Along about 1973, he (name is close to the tip of my tongue) was driving at the Calistoga dirt track reenactment races when the shock and stress of the steel wheels broke a rear axle and the wheel went off on its own as he and his mechanic slid the back end a ways down the dirt. We ran from the pit area, picked up the back of the car and carried it further from the track, where it sat for a couple hours while they tore the rear end apart, and changed the axle, using a spare axle that one of the other car/teams had brought.

An interesting side note. That exact short narrative actually happened twice during the four years that event was run. Once with Testa Rosa (which as I recall translates into "Red Head"), and once to Doug Abernathy (also Jaxon disc wheels). The key detail difference between the two, is that Doug A's wheel went flying away totally alone, while (Name is so close?!) wheel snapped in an odd way and flew back a few feet first. I was standing in the pit area watching them as they rounded the turn, when the axle snapped. The wheel was spinning, but flew back first. Hit the ground, and jumped forward hitting the back of their car before bouncing off and rolling away. It put a small dent in the gasoline tank, as if to say "So there!" The right rear wheel took a lot of abuse on those turns!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 12:50 am:

Wayne- pretty sure the Testa Rosa car is owned by Dave Moulton, but, its been a few years . . . . !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 08, 2017 - 03:49 am:

That is who it was Dan McE !
Last I heard, just a few years ago, he still had the car.
I also remember you being there some years, and having fun with a wheel once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Wayne,
Send me your email address and I will send a copy of the Backfire that features the Testa Rosa. Would like to post it on this forum but not sure how.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 09:13 am:

What was I thinking....here is a better way to get to the Testa Rosa...and a lots more. Go to the Santa Clara Valley Club site and check "newsletter" and then April 2016. There is a lot more to see.
http://scvmtfc.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Thank you John McG! I saw you and a few other people I know in those old pictures.
I had heard about, and went to see that second Run, and was working on my first car soon after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 12:03 am:

A little "promo" for the upcoming event:

https://youtu.be/HxMRlfoNBv4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 12:20 am:

Looking good . . .

A few years back, or at least the first year yours was done if I remember right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Chadwick, are you related to the Azevedos in the background with #21?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

And now you know where I got my T knowledge. My Grandfather and Grandmother are in the background.

Family shot a few years back, both uncles and my Mom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 01:25 am:

The Azevedo family is one of several very active long time families in the SCVMTFC. I wish my family were known in such a way.
Chadwick, For whatever it is worth, My aunt and uncle (Mildred and Clarence Russo) were friends of your grandparents for many years. Just not in the antique car hobby. I would suspect that your mother is the daughter that moved to Florida many years ago (I may be mistaken there). I never did get to hear her play the piano, but I have heard that she is very good. I used to look forward to the Endurance Run for many reasons. One of which was to see many friends, and just how many of the Azevedo family and speedsters would be there. As I recall, there was one year where there were (I think) five T speedsters filled with Azevedos. I think one of them was your mother and you. But I may be mixing up some of my memories.
Don is the only one I have kept in touch with much. He is also very active with the Regional Group of the Horseless Carriage Club that I have stayed with. I hear that Genelle (your grandmother?) is doing remarkably well, and always look forward to her notes and poems in the club newsletters.
You come from a wonderful family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Yes there were a few years where there were 5 Azevedo Speedsters and yes my Mon did move to FL although she is back in CA now and is planning on trying to complete the Endurance Run this year even though I won't be there to help get the car all gone thru. Just last month we did a drive cross country and picked up all of my T parts visiting my Grandma while we were there.

Here are the 5 speedsters, I tried to find older photos of what the looked like then (sorted by age)

George and Genelle

Larry and Cole (Usually took Lorna)

Don and Joyce

Shirley and Myself

And my speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

Finally got my new Bergs radiator fitted up last night and now we're ready to run! We headed out this morning. Spending a couple of nights in Monterey before we head over to Hollister for Sunday's rally.

Buffalo wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

Hey Kevin- we're loading the trailer in the morning and then heading out- see ya there!!
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

How did it go today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

Every kind of speedster showed up today, from bone stock to a DO Fronty. And they all finished the rally!!! Bout 25 of them. Don't know how it happened, but somehow a chebby managed to take home the trophy. ;)

The roads ranged from really bad pavement to really nice dirt, but mostly really nice back country "T" roads. Had a great time this year, as I always did in the past. I hope they leave the rules "relaxed" so I can continue to attend for the years to come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 12:35 am:

A couple photos from todays event (video to come):

photo1
photo2
photo3
photo4
photo5
photo6

There are more here:
https://goo.gl/photos/Ra2e2BdvZ6Zyh5GD9

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Azevedo on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

Here's a picture of Cole Wedekind in front of his grandpa's(Larry Azevedo) 1925 speedster. Cole was the driver and Larry the mechanic yesterday. This speedster was originally built by Jim Metcalf of Morgan Hill, CA. Larry purchased the car from Jim's widow, Idelle, in 1997. The last speedster run for the speedster was in 1995. It was great to get it back to California, from New Mexico, for the run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Azevedo on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Just another quick note: Cole (above post in front of #9) is my grandson in Chad Azevedo's post(May 12, 11:17 PM) in front of George and Genelle's speedster in 2007 at age 7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

Very Cool!! I see our Lucky 7's Humble Howard Genrich riding mechanic with #4 Ed Archer!

I think my Torpedo should have been good enough to run in this years "Relaxed contest" as the car #626...?

Some really nice speedsters, let us know how they did.

Thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Azevedo on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:16 am:

My spouse, Lorna Azevedo, and daughter, Allison Berglund took Lorna's #1 on the speedster run. This was Lorna's first time as a driver and it took a long time convincing her to drive. This was mostly my fault because I had embellished stories about previous years speedster runs. Even though she had participated in many prior years as a mechanic she was apprehensive about driving (a word of caution to you guys about your stories!). She had no troubles except when she came upon an uphill patch on the 9 mile dirt road and was forced to stop behind several speedsters stalled on the hill for various reasons. It was at that time she discovered the low band needed adjustment. I told my driver, Cole, to take his Mom up the hill while I helped Lorna and adjusted the low band. This became tricky when we could not find any large enough rocks to put behind a rear wheel. It wasn't that the hand brake could not hold the car, you need to release the hand brake to remove the floorboard to get to the low band adjustment. Lorna was unwilling to lay down behind a wheel to hold the car in place so I made do with lifting a corner of the floorboard and getting to the adjustment along the hogshead. Lorna is still asking me why she does not have wheel chocks, she will in the future! She had a great time overall on the run. It was great to see a number of young drivers on the run. Maybe they will add their comments in this thread. My grandson, Cole, can't wait for next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:34 am:

Larry A, I thought chocking the wheels was what the water pump was for?
:-)
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Thanks to all that share photos and stories with those of us trapped away from the event this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Sherman on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Chad, great topic I love all the great pictures and learning about your family's Model T racing history. Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

I finally put together some clips from the endurance run. Here is the video I put together.

https://youtu.be/3qr_EVBwI78

I am working on another video (time lapse from the front of the car).

https://youtu.be/3qr_EVBwI78

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 01:02 am:

Lots of work went into filming and posting that video.
Thanks for you effort in doing so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 01:47 am:

Ivan- awesome job- your coverage gets better every year!!! Thanks so much- we all just finished watching it. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 02:00 am:

Whoever did the drone work did a very nice job well done! All of the video was wonderful.
Thank you Ivan J!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 03:31 am:

Ivan you did a great job in filming and editing it in to the final copy posted, I enjoyed it. Again great job !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

Becca and I just added our pictures from the endurance run to my Flicker account. Becca was awarded rookie of the year driving the #45 car. Her sister Dani was navigator in the #46 car.

Here is the link to the album:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/47071066@N02/c7y8t1

Hope this works!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Looks like you need to copy the entire link and past it into your browser, as the forum does not appear to recognize the entire URL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Great pics! I had to do the same as Dan to get it to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, July 03, 2017 - 12:07 am:

Yip, that "at" sign tripped it up. Great pics!
Those videos are just plain awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 08:49 am:

I also put together a "time lapse" of the route:

https://youtu.be/bSAEwiC3EuA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Ivan, great job. I better slow down next year to be in the running. I was the first car you followed and obviously went too fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

Well, there is one good thing about living in California these days, there is no shortage of bad pavement roads that simulate the gravel roads from back in the day !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

Looks like a lot of fun, but I am sure I would have gotten lost. You need a good navigator for that run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Great photos and videos. Thanks Dan and Ivan for making these and sharing with us. I noticed lots of young people seem to be taking part in this event. I think events like this that are about "fun" is what will keep this hobby alive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Dave H, Yeah, a good navigator does help. Linda, my wife, was the best I ever drove with. We didn't go enough times, but I think in all the years she did ride with me, we missed only one turn. She can read a map!
On such runs, cars tend to cluster. One time, we were at the back end of about five cars, approaching a turn. The other cars all went straight ahead, we turned right. I slowed down a bit to see if they came back. About two minutes later we were leading that same group of five.
While it often helps to follow the line? It is not always correct.
Someday, maybe I can tell you my favorite tale of another driver and navigator, and my wife's directions.

Kevin M, Yeah, gotta love Califunny. They spend more money per mile of road than any other state in the union. And the last time I read a federal report on the condition of the roads of the fifty states? Califunny was 49th out of 50.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

I still remember my second year driving. A few miles from the finish line the speedster in front of us went the wrong way. I got their attention and they made the correct adjustment while we sat at the light. Turned out we took second place to them taking first!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration