I need advice on stopping a windshield leak on my 14

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I need advice on stopping a windshield leak on my 14
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

(Is that specific enough Jerry Van??)

When it rains, I've got a bit of a leak between the bottom of the windshield and the top of the firewall/dashboard on my 1914.

Anyone else have this problem and is there some sort of rubber strip that can be put in that space?

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Good one Marty :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Marty...my '13 came with a very thin rubbery strip, self adheshion, typically bought at a big box hardware store, in the weatherstripping department. That'll do the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Hi Marty,

The windshield frame sits on the top of the screw heads (french head screws) which hold the brass trim molding onto the firewall. As a result there is a small gap between the molding and the frame.

Your leak is Factory Supplied Original Equipment.

Tim's suggestion is valid. Loosen the clamps which hold the frame to the firewall and place a strip if rubber or similar material between the two. It will be about the best that you can do. A narrow strip of inner tube may almost look period correct! Good lock with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Stop driving in the rain !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:06 am:

I used 3M auto body strip caulk on my 14. set the windshield in it, clean off, then wipe the seam with grease and wax remover. You will hardly notice it and it will never leak again. You can also seal the coil box with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:03 am:

Great suggestions!!! Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

I get wet when I drive in the rain, too. I tried a rubber strip on the bottom of the windshield, but it didn't seem to help much. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

HA!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration