Is this carrier Model t ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this carrier Model t ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

Found this in the garage. your thoughts on what it fits would be great thanks Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

It looks like a Gemco double spare tire carrier for an early Model T. It's just missing the 2 u-bolts to attach it to the rear cross member.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

Not for a "T"? Not like the one I have. It looks like it would surface mount on a flat vertical surface. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Yes it is after market accessory(Gemco?) for carrying 30X3 and 30 x 3.5. Nice item

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Take a close look. This unit will not mount on the cross member. It would have to mount on a vertical surface. The two I have mount on the cross member and are marked GEMCO. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

the back side of the cross member is a vertical surface thats where it mounts note the curved ridge at the bottom to make up for the spring. i have 3 of these you could grind them off then you could bolt up to a flat surface. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

I suppose there were several companies selling these. Here is one I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Richard, Notice the bolt pattern. It is It fits the spring bolts for a T.The one Colins is V shaped and facing the opposite direction . Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

I was having trouble visualizing it. Turning the photo I can see Colin's mounted on the vertical (back) face of a T cross member. The trapezoid hole pattern would fit the curve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

Yes, But it is upsidedown. look at it the tires would be under the car. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:37 am:

no it is up right, thats the way they all mount. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Here's a link to the Accessory Of The Day thread on this.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/123629.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:41 am:

THANK YOU JAY. CHARLEY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Good work Jay. That answers many questions.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Jay, Thanks for the photo. One mounts vertical, and one horizontal on the cross member.It makes sense now. Mine mount under the spring. I could not figure out that bracket, dumb me. Thanks, Don

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration