Windshield ? for 1919 sedan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Windshield ? for 1919 sedan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john f stephens-marcle on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

i'm new to these wonderful cars ,finding many answers here or in books, my car is mostly restored when I purchased it recently, but still missing many parts ,many not in catalogs. I,ve seen old ads showing the sedan w/ a 3 piece windshield is this correct ? if so anyone have the top frame that is suppose to swing out ?,I have the inside tilting top frame w/brackets and the bottom frame (need complete brackets...anybody have a spare pair?)thanks in advance john s.m.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

I am not sure what the 3rd piece would be. These may help. A good forum friend sent me the last 2. They are the bracket on the upper frame and the bracket that goes on the door pillar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

OK my error. These were for the Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

This is the centerdoor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

John,
I restored a 1919 center door. They don't have 3 glasses in the windshield - just 2. I understand you have the bottom windshield frame and just need the bracketry that attaches it to the pillars.... Right? If it would help, I could take pictures and send to you. But I don't have an extra pair

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

The first Ford sedans, the rare 1915 Centerdoor used a three piece windshield, see pictures:

W1
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

Sounds like John may be talking about the less than a year early '15 sedan. They were the only Ford sedans with a three glass windshield. The upper half had an inner glass frame and panel, and an outer frame and glass panel, fixed together so that the pair would swing together. It could either close from the outside, with an inner visor (that was pretty much useless). Or it could close from the back, leaving a visor over the front, which would help shield the windshield from rain at the low speeds of the day. In between, it could be adjusted for preferred ventilation. I have seen many pictures of the setup (and Ford marketing from the day), but have never seen one up close myself.
The newer, and cheaper, center-door sedan for 1916 had a simplified windshield which continued with only minor detail changes until the end of the center-door sedans in 1923. Ford changed the windshield along with most of the rest of the car to make building the body cheaper and more affordable.
Other companies also offered center-door sedans at the time. Some of them had windshields similar to the complicated one Ford used in early '15, some used simpler ones like Ford used the rest of the time. The basic style was mostly out of vogue by 1920. Ford hung onto it only a few years longer than the others did.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john f stephens-marcle on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

WOW!! you people are amazing...thank you all for your input, I want to finish this car right, and have much to learn.. photos of the brackets of the bottom frame would be great , kind of glad it has the simpler windshield. thank you Wayne for the detailed description....I L-O-V-E this stuff!!! thank you kindly,john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Thanks Roger and Wayne. I was not up on the 3 piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

It appears that this windshield was also used on the coupes:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration