Heartbreaker of the day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Heartbreaker of the day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Autos being recycled sometime in the 1920's. I felt like screaming at the screen, "No, no. Not that one. Set it aside for the future." Watch only if you don't get depressed easily.

Begin watching at 5:00 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgmspemaOJg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

If I recall correctly, in the early days of the great depression, Ford Motor Company actively bought and scrapped well-used cars regardless of make in order to decrease the supply of used automobiles which would hopefully help prop up the new car market.

I believe that film is slightly later than the 1920s. If you hunt around the internet, there are better and longer examples of the footage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Cash for clunkers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Erik,

What made me think this video was from the late 1920's was the presence of Herbert Hoover and Thomas Edison, along with Mr. Ford. Mr. Edison died in 1931.

Of course that snippet could have been shot on an earlier occasion.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

The Hoover/Edison footage appears to be from the October 1929 "Golden Jubilee" which celebrated the 50th anniversary of Edison's invention of the lightbulb and when the Edison Institute (The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village) was dedicated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:21 am:

We have seen pics like this on the news with good cars with the previous administration Cash for clukers. Just another ridiculous attempt to manage our lives!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Back in those days people didn't seem to value anything.

Kidney foundation takes cars and junks them as I go by a salvage yard that buys them from the foundation.
Windshields will be marked,"Needs brakes", "needs transmission", needs fuel pump. That foundation also gets federal funding so it is a back door cash for clunkers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Perfectly good '25 roadster pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:53 am:

From the looks of it, many Model T's went on to become Model A's

For those who lament the destruction of those T's imagine the resale value of a T today if say a few million more had been spared. Which cars from the last 2 or 3 decades will cause people to express regret over their destruction. Chevy Citation? Ford Tempo? Dodge Neon? All cars depreciate, the value bottoms out and if they catch on with collectors the value starts to rise again. Fox body Mustangs for example. Any mass produced car becomes "just and old car" at some point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

I'm still waiting for the 55-57 T birds to bottom out at $50. I have been waiting ever since they were new!
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration