Semi OT, trip advice needed, planes and model Ts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Semi OT, trip advice needed, planes and model Ts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

This April my brother and I are flying to Dayton Ohio to visit the Air Force national museum. We plan to see the Wright brothers shop, etc. then drive to Dearborn to visit Greenfield village and The Henry Ford.

What should we include in these areas if we have a few extra days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Kalamazoo Air Zoo is a great aircraft museum. They also have a Tri-Motor that they regularly fly.

Of course, just a few miles away is the Gilmore Classic Car Museum, which, in my opinion, is probably the best car museum in the country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

When in Detroit select a few of the Ford related sights on this map and see them. THF is at top of the list, stay at the Dearborn Inn, Edsel Ford's home (magnificent), Fairlane (interesting if open), HF's grave and then to your own preferences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Stay at the Dearborn Inn and you can walk to THF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Is the Dearborn Inn still as fancy as it used to be in the mid 1970's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Cool, thanks for the information.

Any other ideas near either area?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Dayton Ohio is only about an hour's drive from Richmond Indiana and the Model T Museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

The Model T Museum is about 40 miles west of Dayton.

http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/museum.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

Lots and lots of Car history in Detroit. Add Auburn Indiana as a landing sight when flying up from Dayton. Swing west to the Gilmore in Kalamazoo. In Detroit you want to see the Piquette plant, Edsel's house, Ford Museum (2 full days), Rouge, maybe Packard proving grounds, Detroit institute of Arts, Stahl museum in Chesterfield twp, and on and on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:41 am:

You can walk the grounds of Fairlane. When I was there in September the security guard told me that it may be open for tours this year. Piquette Avenue plant is defiantly worth checking out. About a 4 mile drive to see the outside of the Highland Park plant.

Highland Park

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:48 am:

High light number 15 on Ron's map, The Piquette Plant is a must. Worth repeating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael - Detroit, Mich on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:48 am:

Piquette Plant is by far one of my favorite things to visit.

Also, while you are in Detroit, I would recommend checking out the unprecedented rebirth that the city is experiencing in the downtown area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:07 am:

You need to go visit Ron's Machine shop and museum in Shandon, Ohio. The shop exclusively works on Model T and Model A engines. Really impressive operation, and you might catch Ron, BJ or Casey there too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Well, you'll have to change up the order a little bit. The Wright Brothers home and bicycle shop aren't in Dayton, OH. Henry Ford bought both of the buildings and moved them to Greenfield Village in 1937.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:13 am:

Stop in at my place and we'll go for a ride in the country!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:28 am:

While what Eric says is true...when we are in western Ohio, we STILL stop and visit Carillon Historical Park in Dayton. Much to see there still and well worth the better part of a day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Piquette is a must. It is truly awe inspiring to stand in the very corner of the building where the Model T was conceived. Memberships are very affordable and the money goes back into the restoration. Win/Win.

If you can, hit the Yankee Air Museum also. They have a fairly good display indoors, which is getting to be more Vietnam era (think of the average retired persons age now) but they also have a good bit about the bomber plant that was on the site there at Willow Run. Also, in the summer they run flights in their B-17, B-25 and C-47. I'm a member there too. And The Henry Ford/Greenfield Village/whatever they are called this year.

Belle Isle is worth a visit, to see the first indoor aquarium in this country.

There is a lot of history in the Detroit area, and we sometimes take for granted how much of it there is to see and do around here.

jk

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration