Good Time to Recharge Magnets?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Good Time to Recharge Magnets?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:06 am:

I'm about to pull the hogshead on my '24 Touring that's been in storage just shy of 50 years.

I'll be changing gaskets and probably installing clutch and band springs and giving things a good inspection.

Would it be a good time to recharge the magnets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:49 am:

Absolutely. It's easy and cheap to make the Ted Dumas magnet charger. Works with one 12 volt battery, you can pick up 4 1/2 pounds or more with each magnet when you are done.

See here, scroll down about 1/2 way:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/600997.html?1455124098

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Might be a good idea to check out the magneto ring if its been stored almost 50 years.

The insulation on the mag ring will begin to deteriorate after almost 100 years if it hasn't been replaced years ago. You can recharge the magnets without taking the cover off.

You can also run it on battery when you get it started and see how the engine runs. If it needs a rebuild I would pull the engine and get a rebuilt mag ring while your going through the engine and transmission if you have to go that far. Original radiators and mag rings wear out with age.
My opinion and good luck with your T!

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:25 am:

I'd start the engine and see if it runs on magneto before deciding whether or not the magnets need to be recharged and doing a complete tear down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

My intention is to NOT pull the engine.

I have to pull the hogshead because the main hogshead gasket and the starter bendix gasket are toast and leaking oil like the Exxon Valdez when the engine's running.

So, my question was based on that fact.....since the hogshead is coming off anyway, wouldn't it be a good time to recharge magnets since they'll be so visible and I can get the orientation lined up easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

For those who haven't seen the video of me starting the car, it runs pretty well (on battery).

Didn't run it long enough to switch it to magneto because the oil was leaking so bad.

Side note: While this forum is great and active, etc, the format is maddening at times because you can't edit posts and you can't post a build thread that stays put for more than a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

Don, When I recharged my magnets in the car in 2010, I had a lot of help and guidance and my efforts met with success beyond my wildest imagination. 7 years later, my magneto works great. !Here is the thread from 2010 documenting what I did and the advice of everyone who helped me. Good luck. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/159978.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

I'd see if it runs on magneto just for the sake of curiosity before doing an in-the-car recharge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

Does it run on mag? What is the mag output? Maybe you don't need to recharge the mag at all if it is good working order.

If it ain't beoke don't fix it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Take some time and go thru the past two years of postings (there are more), that's a lot of postings. While you can't add to the postings after they are closed they are still there and can be read. If no one has added to your post and it's withing a short time, you can edit. Click on your name, click User Profile, if the pencil is showing next to the title in the box, click on it. If you are looking for specific info, type "mtfca;" and what you are looking for in your browser search box. Good chance you will find it. The search looks at past postings as well as current. By the way you can cut and paste your build thread to a new posting so people can read what has been done up to a point then go from there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration