Old Car Festival Poll, Going or Not Going

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Car Festival Poll, Going or Not Going
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

I started this thread to "poll" the people that have attended the OCF or were considering putting in an application to attend the OCF for the first time this year.

There has been a lot of discussion about this years changes to the OCF in other threads. Also, there is the thread for Keith Gumbinger's letter writing campaign to the organizers of the OCF. For that please see http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/723956.html?1486827475 if you wish to sign on by 2/13/17.

I started this thread to be just a poll of the segment of the attendees that are on this forum. Please answer the question......

"ARE YOU PLANNING ON TRYING TO ATTEND THE OLD CAR FESTIVAL THIS YEAR?"

Please copy and past one of the answers that best describes your current situation regarding the OCF this year.

#1 I have attended the OCF in the past, and I plan on putting in an application for the OCF this year.

#2 I have attended the OCF in the past, and was planning on putting an application in this year until the changes were published. With the current changes as they stand, I will NOT be applying for the OCF this year.

#3 I have never attended the OCF but I plan on putting in an application for the OCF this year.

#4 I have never attended the OCF but was planning on putting an application in this year until the changes were published. With the current changes as they stand, I will NOT be applying for the OCF this year.

#5 I was NOT planning on applying for the OCF anyways or "None of the above"

Once again, please save the discussion for one of the other threads as this is intended on just being a poll.

Thank You!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

#2 I have attended the OCF in the past, and was planning on putting an application in this year until the changes were published. With the current changes as they stand, I will NOT be applying for the OCF this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

#4 I have never attended the OCF but was planning on putting an application in this year until the changes were published. With the current changes as they stand, I will NOT be applying for the OCF this year.

I may go as a tourist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

I have attended the OCF in the past, and was planning on putting an application in this year until the changes were published. With the current changes as they stand, I will NOT be applying for the OCF this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Not...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

#5 I live way too far away!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

It made fiscal sense to me to trailer my 1908 Maxwell 750 miles each way to Detroit and back when I was planning to participate in the Lansing to Dearborn Run and the OCF. Now that the events are no longer linked, it's unlikely that I'll attend either one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

(I had been planning to bring 2 cars this year)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel in Temperance MI on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

#1 I have attended the OCF in the past, and I plan on putting in an application for the OCF this year.

I hope to see some of you there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

#2 I have attended the OCF in the past and was planning on putting an application in this year until the changes were published.I sure hope they rescind at least some of those changes in time to save the event.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

#5. I was NOT planning on applying for the OCF anyways or "None of the above"

%$@*& ....The tyranny of distance.......sigh.
I hope to be there as a spectator someday....if it doesn't self destruct in the mean time.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

#2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

The Glidden Tour is in central Nebraska this year. This might be an opportunity to take your T or other car on a Glidden Tour. Roads will be good, and usually lightly travelled, Nebraskans are usually very accommodating, and the tours should be for the most part level.

The tour is during the middle of September, a short time after OCF:
http://www.gliddentour.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By leo naus on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

# 2 Have attended in past and was planning on this year until changes were published.Will not apply this year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

I have never been. I will stay here and wait for the video. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrie Nolting on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Probly not anytime soon west coaster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

#2 I have been a "regular" for years, not any more. The fools running the show don't deserve my time or efforts for their betterment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Went as a tourist last year. Won't go again this year. Last year was a great show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 06:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 06:26 am:

# 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel in Temperance MI on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:09 am:

Looking like I may be lonely....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:41 am:

# 5

I would have liked to go one day, but seems like it is not worth the distance until it gets sorted out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:55 am:

We will try to go, but only as spectators. I hope it gets sorted out, the gas light parade is the high point of the year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

Todd, what, if anything, do you plan on doing with the findings of this poll? Are you going to close the poll at some point? Will you organize poll results into number of people per answer choice? Is your plan to share it with THF? If so, to what end?

I, for one, do not want to see a boycott of either event. That has never been my intent. My goal was to open a friendly dialogue with THF with the possibility of making some changes and coming to mutually agreeable solutions to the issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas M. Edfors on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Another #2 but I will not only not apply this year but also future years unless something changes. I have attended, off an on, since 1972 as both a Wheelmen and a brass-era car participant. It used to be so much fun and we were so welcome. Without us, the participants, they have no show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

A strong #2 if they manage to remove their heads from their butts in time maybe? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

Marty, I've only been once, in conjunction with a Lansing-Dearborn Run. I was going to go again last year, but had an accident with my LDR-eligible car, so I had to cancel. I don't think of staying away this year as a boycott. I go on several tours a year, and it's expensive. I usually drive alone. It's a full day's trailering from my home to THF, and a full day's trailering back. I have a choice of many tours. If the OCF is going to become less attractive and more expensive, to say nothing of making me and my friends feel less welcome, I'll not stay home and sulk. I'll use my time, my money, and my car to go somewhere that's more attractive to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Hi Marty,

Well I didn't want this thread to turn into a big discussion, but I feel I need to reply to your valid questions and make my motives clear.

First off I want to say that I REALLY, REALLY want to see the OCF not only continue, but thrive for many years to come. My intent was never to start or organize a boycott of this event. I started this post/poll purely out of curiosity as to how their changes have effected the future attendance. As far as "what do I plan to do with this information?" The short answer, nothing. You and/or Keith Gumbinger may wish to refer to it in your contact with the THF to demonstrate the effects of their changes. That I will leave up to you of course.

We do not know the true motives behind the changes to the OCF. If they are trying to turn the show into the Greenfield Village Concours d'Elegance for a select group of cars with big money backing, they will succeed and there is little we can do about it. It is their playground. If the intent was to make it easier on themselves while also generating a lot more money from the show, my opinion (and it is supported by what I have seen so far in this poll) is that they have not just shot themselves in the foot, but have probably shot both legs clean off.

The OCF should be a money maker for the THF, I realize that, and while I expect them to make money on us being there, there are also some significant costs for them to put this event on. Think of the employee hours to set up an event like this, and clean up afterwards. Last years very wet weather just before the show, turned some areas into quick sand with grass growing on top of it. I wonder what the cost was to fix the grounds afterwards?

For what it's worth, the reason's "I" will NOT be attending (if they do not make changes) have to do with how the current rules and fees have completely alienated the exhibitors with the cars that would be more commonly seen in the era, the younger group with families (just the people we should be encouraging in this hobby) and those that have decided to make the investment in the hardware to camp on site.

My hope is that the segment of the group that attends the OCF and visits this forum, will answer this poll honestly and will not hesitate to say if they are going to apply or not. If the changes have not effected your decision and you are planning to go, POST THAT YOU ARE GOING! Either way it is completely your choice and no one should judge!

I fervently hope that this is all just growing pains and that you and Keith will be successful in helping steer the OCF down a better path that will be a win, win situation for both the exhibitors and the THF, and a path that will allow the OCF to continue for years to come.

OK, now I will get off my tiny soap box and let the poll continue.

Tod Wirth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Gilbert, understood and I can sympathize with that.

Tod, thanks for the answer.

I agree that those responding to this poll THAT STILL INTEND TO GO, PLEASE INDICATE AS SUCH. I'm sure Tod -- and others -- would like to know if there are those still planning to attend.

Okay, thanks and now back to the poll

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

I have attended OCF the last 4 years. I drive up from Florida and stay at campground 28 miles away. I drive back and forth both days.
The trip cost me at lease $2000 with gas and campground fees.
The extra $25 is not going to make or break me. If I wanted to save money I would sell my cars and stay home.
I think this show is one of the best and most fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

Na Chuck. You won't be lonely. We you there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Trzcinski on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

My father and I will not be attending either event if the changes stick. We took two cars to each event

MIKE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Thank you all for posting! Here are the current results of this poll.

Of the responses.....

9.7% Answered #1 I have attended the OCF in the past, and I plan on putting in an application for the OCF this year.

58.1% Answered #2 I have attended the OCF in the past, and was planning on putting an application in this year until the changes were published. With the current changes as they stand, I will NOT be applying for the OCF this year.

0% Answered #3 I have never attended the OCF but I plan on putting in an application for the OCF this year.

9.7% Answered #4 I have never attended the OCF but was planning on putting an application in this year until the changes were published. With the current changes as they stand, I will NOT be applying for the OCF this year.

22.6% Answered #5 I was NOT planning on applying for the OCF anyways or "None of the above"

Of the people that were planning on going to the OCF this year....

87.5% are not attending due to the changes.

12.5% are still planning on attending.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Sad. Very sad.

I guess I'm thankful that I made last year my last year narrating both events. It was a good 35 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

While I'm not sure how many cars were at last year's festival and the year before that was about 900. Let's use a range of 800-900 cars. If this poll is any indication at 12.5% going to the festival, that puts a range of 100-113 cars. Of course, that is provided that all of the 12.5% applying get accepted. If there is any reality to these figures, it may very well be the worst turn out in the history of the OCF....

Yes, very sad to a once great event!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

#5 also west coaster and this is not even on my really really long bucket list.
I don't think you can gauge the attendance by the numbers posted here. People posting here only make up a small percentage of active Model T owners. Out of a local club with 95-120 depending on the year, maybe 8 members even post here and only 2 or 3 post on a somewhat regular basis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

No.2 - I had all my reservations and was halfway there (have to leave
a year in advance to get there in a TT), but when the rule changes were
released, I said "That's a no-go" and spun the old dog around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 07:50 am:

Regretfully we will not be attending this year. This was one of our favorite weekends of the year. This event was truly a one of a kind event. I fear that in the near future it will just be a memory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Brent, You said it well & we feel the same way.

It's so sad.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

It was on my bucket list to at least attend as a tourist, but it has been removed from the list for now. I'll just wait and see what happens and do the armchair tourist thing- keep an eye on YouTube. I hope this does not prove to be the "beginning of the end" for the OCF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Todd, Mark makes a good point about the poll, attendance and, Model T owners.

What about also posting the pool on HCCA and AACA forums?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Trzcinski on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Yes it would be interesting to see how many of the HCCA and AACA members are not going. I have been hearing a lot of unhappiness from HCCA members.

MIKE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

I would agree that it would be interesting to post the same poll on the HCCA and AACA forums. I have never personally been on either one (don't have enough time to stay up with this forum!) so if someone wants to take the initiative, please be my guest. Just start a new thread here with links to the treads on both sites, so we can all watch it too.

Tod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer,Woodstock,Ontario,Canada on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 01:15 am:

#4.
We have never attended with a car before.Our car had attended for more years than I can remember.The car is a 1909 Model T Ford made in Walkerville ,Ontario.
I wonder how long it will be until Keith Gumbinger's letter is answered ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Don't be surprised if the letter is not answered at all. This, of course, is just my opinion. I sense that they are pretty set in stone with these changes. If that is the case come June, the more people that don't apply the better to bring about change.

Willis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration