Help identifying a tool/item

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help identifying a tool/item
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Cirino on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

I came across this this the other day while purchasing a Model T jack and have no idea what this is or was used for? It has incremental numbers and lines on one side as if to check the level or measurement of something. Perhaps it was a giveaway from a dealer? As can been seen in the pictures it is marked "Ford-Lincoln-Fordson" "Binghamton NY" and "United Motor Co. Inc."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

If it is wooden and looks like a gallon paint stir stick it is probably a gas tank measuring stick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Cirino on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

I came across this this the other day while purchasing a Model T jack and have no idea what this is or was used for? It has incremental numbers and lines on one side as if to check the level or measurement of something. Perhaps it was a giveaway from a dealer? As can been seen in the pictures it is marked "Ford-Lincoln-Fordson" "Binghamton NY" and "United Motor Co. Inc."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

Looks like a tool for checking the oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

The "business end" slips over the oil petcock to twist and check oil level. The pin is to unclog a plugged petcock. The lines for measuring gas, but which tank, round or oval??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

Oil petcock wrench. As Dan Booth says, to check the level of the oils in the crankcase.

If you own a Model T, that is a nice tool to have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Cirino on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

so it is definitely from or for a Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Yes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Cirino on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Awesome, so I have the jack and a dipstick, one day I will have the whole car, LOL. Thanks to all that helped out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Interesting, hadn't thought about it, but yes, this could be used to turn the oil "spigots" on the pan to check for oil level without crawling under the car, AND could be used to check the amount of fuel left in the tank.
Yes, probably a "give-away" by a Dealer.
Now, what's the pin sticking out by the end for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

They made at least two versions of this tool.A shorter version was for carrying on the car.The long version was typically a filling station item.I have one of the longer ones,but it doesn't have the numbers on it. As stated,the prong is for cleaning out the spout on petcock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Cirino on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Not sure if this link will work. But after you guys telling me what it was, i came across this from a forum in 2013 will some cool pics of other versions and a very cool ad for a similar one.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/369265.html?1371946753

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Cirino on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

Dan, Jack, Bill and Erik, you guys rock, and I will own a Model T one day. Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

David: Your oil check rod is way too cool. Wish I could find one like it. You're lucky to have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

You guys can call me whatever....I'm NOT changing my name.

D

O

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Bubba made mine, but it does the petcock thing. Not the gas thing, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Cirino on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Sorry Don, thank you too!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration