Revealing the engine serial number

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Revealing the engine serial number
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Chester on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Does anyone have a good way of revealing the engine serial number when it's worn? By taking pictures at various angles, I can make out a "1" then perhaps a "4", then clearly a "69433" and then what I think is another "6" for something like "14694336". I just don't know how to clean it up to confirm the questionable numbers without wearing the numbers down more. Chemicals perhaps? Not sure what a wire brush would do. It's in a 1927 Touring, but my wife's grandfather was very resourceful so I can't say it's the original engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Never 'raised' a stamped number but crime labs do it.

Here is a link:

http://www.evidencemagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=366

You might take more time and check over the upper frame rail, all 1927's have the matching number of the block stamped there. Right in front of the leading running board bracket. Most times on the passenger side, sometimes on the driver's side.

If you find a number you might get lucky with matching engine number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Chester on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Great! Thanks Dan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

I used my wife's household steam cleaner and a nylon toothbrush and it cleaned mine out great. I have no idea how a engine block number could wear down. If it's crusty and rusty, maybe some ospho to convert the rust.

Good luck. My wife is a big fan of using the camera and blowing up the image on the monitor. Different light shadows helps bring out the relief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Here's a citation from an older post - haven't tried the method myself, though.

"Years ago, I was a Deputy Sheriff. We used a battery charger clamped to a cotton ball, soaked in sulfuric acid to raze serial numbers on stollen guns and cars. The molocules were compressed by the original stamp, and the old number appears as dark impressions."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Wire brush by hand. It should remove dirt and rust but shouldn't wear off any numbers.

Use a trouble lamp and shine it at various angles while you look at the number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

I have always had better results using a small flashlight in total darkness at various angles rather than a garage full of light or being outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Speaking of camera's, I have the same problem seeing signatures on the rusted tangs of Samurai swords I collect. I've had good luck taking a photograph and then using one of the online photo programs to convert the image to a negative and most times it makes it a lot easier to see.

Howard Dennis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration