OT Need Help ID Hand Pump. Not Tire. Water? Bilge? Well?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Need Help ID Hand Pump. Not Tire. Water? Bilge? Well?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Brought this back from the family farm and thought it was a tire pump. Cleaned it up and pulled the two leather washers from the pump handle and soaking them in conditioner right now. Took it to my military vehicle meeting this afternoon and the consensus is that it is some sort of bilge pump, certainly not a tire pump. Oh well....

F.E. Myers and Brothers Ashland, Ohio Pat. 1895

The Myers company made a variety of well pumps. And I can find a few for sale on eBay, but no one describes it the same. I can't imagine a well pump scenario. A bilge pump, maybe, but awfully ornate and small capacity, even with the two cylinders. Screen at the bottom for water pick up. Two brass ball bearings, one in each cylinder that I presume is some sort of snorkel by pass valve operation.

So, if it's not a tire pump, some sort of water pump, what the heck was it used for? Since I'll be looking for an antique tire pump, I may need to sell this one and it would help to know what the heck it is.

My son is researching the patents, but it's a lot to search.

Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Being an F.E. Myers pump it's definitely for water. Maybe used on livestock tanks to pump 'em out? Doubt it was for marine use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Decided to check on it on Google. Wow, they're all over the place, and so are the prices. From $12 to where one went for $120 on Flea Bay. Most are referred to as "brass hand water pumps"...the gizmo attached to it is no doubt where you would place your foot on it to stabilize it while pumping whatever it is you're wanting to pump I guess. Interesting piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

I saw a pump like that with a hose and brass wand that was used for spraying apple trees

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Robert, Tim,
They were very commonly used to spray fruit trees and such. The brass portion has a bronze ball to act as the foot valve. You placed the brass tubes in a bucket and then put your foot on the cast iron step to hold it in place. They had a length of hose and then a brass wand with the spray nozzle on the end.
They were the early version of a "Hudson" type pressure sprayer.
And you are right they are very common, we always called them bucket pumps.
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

So, you've got your foot in a bucket of DDT? Hmmmm... I gotta see a video of one of these in action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

I got it now. The foot pedal is attached to the tubes a fot or so up the cylinders. So, yes, the tubes go inside the bucket and the foot pedal stays outside the bucket.

A very handy item for getting liquieds from inside the bucket to outside the bucket. Can't imagine why they are not still in business.

I wouldn't have figured it out myself, thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 02:26 am:

We call it a stirrup pump. The foot piece outside the bucket is often stirrup shaped.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Yes, but aren't you the same guys that call hoods bonnets, trunks boots, fenders wings, etc.?

But it's another thing to search for. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:30 am:

myers pump is still a thriving business maybe they can give you more insight on this gem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

DDT is generally was sprayed in dry powder form as a dust. This pump was made for liquid not dry powder. The stirrup was made to be OUTSIDE the bucket so a persons foot isn't standing in anything but guess if they want to put their foot in bucket to hold it down, that's up to the individual.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration