Drove 904 today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Drove 904 today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

904 drove around the block and into my enclosed trailer today under its own power. The original 5 ball Kingston carb works well. The 1909 Kingston coils worked Ok until I pulled into the trailer. It started running on three. A quick look at the coils revealed the reason. Half of one coils point contacts fell apart.

Overall a good day. The newly rebuilt water pump does not leak which is a minor miracle. The no rivet rear axle is quiet. The valve lifters don't sling oil everywhere. Just have to send one computer l back to RV for rework.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

Stupid I phone spell check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

I zip my lip, and bite my tongue!

Except to say, "FANTASTIC!" Must have been a wonderful treat.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Poffenroth on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:40 am:

Awesome! Post a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:52 am:

What a cool ride in a nice car. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Let's see if this works:

https://youtu.be/JWE-CgkfJKs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Royce,

Nice car! Could you share with us what is known about the ancestry of #904?

Thank you,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:00 am:

This car looks a lot like 904

Norrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Two super-fine rides Royce....thx for posting.
SR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:25 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/593997.html?1451420979

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/457509.html?1404508962

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/562937.html?1439591936

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Trent,

The car was purchased new near the Texas / New Mexico border by a man named HJ Switzer. We think he drove the car into the late 1920's or early 1930's.

Somehow the car came into the possession of a junk dealer in El Paso, Texas. Raymond Jones of Abilene, Texas bought it from the junk dealer and performed a repaint and upholstery job. Mr Jones bought the car some thing like 1950.

Arrdeen Vaughan bought it from Mr. Jones many years ago. I've gone through it mechanically but have done nothing to it appearance wise. The car has it's completely original wood body, fenders, splash aprons, and hood. From underneath the car you can see evidence of past damage being repaired on many of the fenders.

The hood apparently cracked near the center and was brazed, while the outside of the hood was leaded to hide the damage.

Note also how delicate the hood handles are, much more flimsy than found in 1910:

The leather strips were originally riveted to the hood bracing channels, unlike the later 1909's where Ford simply used a punch to secure the leather:

I believe the engine and transmission are completely original. The transmission shaft is stamped as shown:

The water pump and radiator have been replaced by reproduction items since the originals were in very bad shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

I'm surprised to hear later in '09 the leather was secured with only a punch. I have an original 23-1/2" 1911 Torpedo/Open Runabout hood and the leather on it is secured with rivets. By contrast, on the reproduction hood I have (presumably Rootlieb), it is secured with a punch:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Poffenroth on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

Great car Royce. Love the character. I always like seeing the age, flaws, and repairs! It's easy to buy a bunch of new stuff and make it flawless. But then flawless might mean characterless!

Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

Nice car Royce, You said the rear axle is quiet. Does it still have the straight axles and hubs. Did you go through the axle assemble to know if it has the riveted ring gear to the carrier and the pinion riveted to the drive shaft, also the babbitt pinion bearing. Most of the early cars like that have been up dated to later parts. The rear axle was one of the very weak points on the 1909s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Beautiful car for certain. I have always enjoyed your previous postings of working on it, and more than a few with it in the background of pictures of other things or activities.
If you don't mind my asking, is the current owner a personal friend of yours? I just wonder how you came to do so much work on it when I know you have so many things of your own to get done! Of course, you are one of the most knowledgeable people where the really early Ts are concerned. I always look forward to your comments on early T photos. 904's owner/caretaker is fortunate to have your hand in the car's preservation.
Thank you for sharing the journey!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Did all early cars come with an upright bass ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

Royce,

Is that two dates on the transmission shaft?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Don,

Yes the rear axle was part of my work. It had an intact original pair of babbitt thrust wagers and tapered later axles when Arrdeen got it. We had a single good 1909 axle shaft and a 1910 axle shaft that was machined to match the 1909 axle shaft. Arrdeen was able to find a correct pair of 1909 hubs that were made into a new set of rear wheels by Stutzman. The drive shaft has no pinion spool, it is much longer than later Driveshafts. The rear axle has babbitt bearings inboard on both sides.

Burger ?

Ken, yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Thank you, Royce.

Nicely done!

Trent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

Royce,

I thought the photo looked as if it had the straight axle hubs. Its nice to keep them as original as possible. Very nice.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration