Period trailer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Period trailer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:02 am:

About 25 years ago I bought a wooden trailer from the grandson of the fellow who built it. He kept the late twenties Buick axle and wire wheels, and I got the rest.

Fast forward, and my son wants it as the drinks counter at his April wedding, so it came home for some work.

The floor was a mess of broken timbers, missing pieces and tin patches, so it had to go.

The base frame was sound enough with the replacement of just one bearer.

The three front boards were broken, undersized replacements. I was able to duplicate them with timbers of the correct thickness and species, cur from an old table top.

I made new tailgate pins and chains from old hardware to match the rest.

The original builder put some nice detail into his work. I have done my best to preserve this. Note the double curve in the front ironwork, just because he could.

The round disc is an original 1967 registration label. It stays.

It now sits on T wheels on a blacksmith made axle. The drawbar is a piece of early T chassis rail. Hope you like it.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:10 am:

Looks great Allen! Its great to see a piece that was built in that time period preserved . The builder definatly took pride in building it. I would love to have something like that for my RPU one day. Post a pic behind tow vehicle when you have time. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:16 am:

Very nice work Allan. Should stir up plenty of conversation as the bar table :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Allen:

Nice work indeed. Perfect as a portable bar for a wedding. plus, you could use it to haul off the rubbish after the party too. I want one just like it.

Please update us later with a pic of the bride and groom with this in the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:57 am:

Years past I picked up a black smith built 16 roadster pickup. Being a cabinet maker I started to rebuild the splay box with an oak----it looked like lip stick on a pig. decided to make a few parts to repair the original including one hammered out latch that took nearly a day to match.

Its my main T interest now appreciating the skill and original design of the hardware and total design of the builder

I Like your trailer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:23 am:

and the trailer could be used to haul some of the guests home safely after a night of celebration. Oh, the stories they could tell....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration