Model T Flashlight? Auction Find

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Flashlight? Auction Find
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:23 am:

Anyone have any information on this light? Picked it up at an auction yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:25 am:

Sorry Kenny no info but that is over the top cool !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Looks factory made. Acetylene powered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:29 am:

I assume that is a battery holder on the bottom. What is the writing on it say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:30 am:

Gary, That's was my thought too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:32 am:

Dallas, it's a Prestolite Acetylene Tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:34 am:

Sorry I should read better. Went straight to photo cause its to cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:36 am:

Neat, but looks heavy. Very cool though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:52 am:

Some mention of these units if you scroll down a bit:

discussion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Kenny,

That should be a Cincinatti-Victor acetylene gas spot light. Look on the top of the bonnet and see if it is stamped as such. That is a very nice complete unit. Victor made a number of different mounts.

I use one with the Victor spot light bracket as a running board light.

The mirrors in these lamps is not the same as your headlights which use a Mangin.

Be sure your burner is lined up correctly and not broken before you light it. That is the little MC tank available at your local welding supply house. The MC will light that unit for about twenty hours with a 1/2 burner.

If the tank has a gauge on its bottom, they won't fill it but I would keep the old style tank and just get another MC from them. Really neat period item you have there.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:36 am:

I have seen one of these units (or a Very similar one from another manufacturer) before and they ARE interesting.

Seeing this one reminds me of a question I have had regarding the Prest-O-Lite tanks.

The B size tanks have the valve offset and intended to be upmost when laying on the running board so that only pure gas emits from the tank.

These MC size tanks ALL seem to have a Center mounted valve and (apparently) there is no such concern with them.

What's up with that? Inquiring minds want to know. When folks mount a MC tank on their car now for headlamp use it may be inclined slightly because of space restrictions, but never horizontally. So, again, what's up (or flat, ha ha) with the MC tanks??? Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:47 am:

Great picture of it. I have seen a few and thought I remembered an old add. Can't find it.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

That's one cool "flashlight" but I'd sure hate to carry it for any length of time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

That is one slick "Model T Flashlight"!

The MC tanks (10 cubic feet acetylene) were primarily used on MotorCycles hence "MC". The "B" tank (40 cubic feet) was for Bus and I have never discovered what the "E" tank (30 cubic feet) indicated. Motorcycle burners are usually rated 3/8, 1/2 or 5/8 cubic foot of gas per hour.

The gas port should be "up" when laid down instead of sideways in the photo and there should be no acetone loss if you don't exceed the recommended draw-down. The convenient place on the old motorcycles was across the handlebars or on top of the fuel tank.

Regarding using an MC tank to light Model T headlights:

The acetylene tanks take 8 hours to fill and they should not be drawn down (used up/released gas) any faster than 1/10 their volume (in 1906), MC = 10 cubic feet/10 = 1 cubic foot per hour. The two 1/2 cubic foot burners = 1 cubic feet per hour. Today, the draw-down is suggested 1/15th the volume of the tank a little more conservative.

If you exceed the draw down, acetone can come with the acetylene and your light will become blueish. Also, acetone can/will mess up your pressure regulator diaphragm if you use one.

Never carry an acetylene tank in a confined area such as under the back seat on a 1914 touring car or inside a tool box, etc. You are creating a very serious potential problem.

For a little Model T show and tell, 1/2 burners and a MC tank and you are in business. I would set the MC in an open top wood box on the floor where I could get to it to shut it off need be. Gas lights are very easy to use.

I use the Prest-O-Lite "B" tank because it only costs $28 exchange and the MC is about $24. I get 4 times the gas for $4 more but I drive with my gas lights. Modern traffic is used to seeing you with your headlights on so I fire mine up as soon as we get close to twilight as I have posted before.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

"Cool" flashlight, uh, I think if it's on, it's probably a HOT flashlight!
But yes, it IS the Bee's Knees!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Ken:

See my posts in these threads:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/380776.html?1376844508

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/398204.html?1383267353

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/552820.html?1436315557

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

I didn't read the whole thread but they were used by Mine Inspectors and here are called "Mine Inspection Lights" by the local antique dealers and collectors. I have seen a couple of them marked NPRR which is Northern Pacific Rail Road.

I'm pretty sure I have one on a shelf somewhere. I have a new old stock set of the lights but not the tank and stand and all that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Ken P. I looked all over the light and couldn't find any identification. Will look again this weekend when I get back to town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Mine are stamped very lightly into the metal in the top center of the bonnet. It's so fine you can hardly see the stamping on the ones I have and it's the only place on the lamp it is marked.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration