Silly Question about Fordor on t-bay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Silly Question about Fordor on t-bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

While looking through the offerings on t-bay I saw this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1924-Ford-Model-T-see-photos-/152433571917?forcerrptr=true&hash=item237dbfb84d:g:zGMAAOSw44BYSIfy&item=152433571917

What struck me as odd is the demountable wheels are held on by 5 lugs instead of the normal 4 lug, are these accessory wheels??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Hmm, accessory wheels, yes, but those look like metal felloe wheels, and I've only seen Firestones as wood felloe wheels. Firestones usually came in bright red paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Thanks Now I have one more thing on my list of things to know about the model t checked off. still trying to find out about that fat-man steering wheel I think I have found that though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

I saw a fatman steering wheel like the one in the ebay ad last week in an antique mall.
I didn't look it over too close as it was in a case that was locked.
Does this one fit over the hub of the wheel like a socket?

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 04:14 am:

The first fatman steering wheel I ever got was just like that one. It has always been my favorite. I don't really know why? I have had a few other ones come and go. I actually have had a couple others just like it, and still have the first one and one other (although it is not complete, I hope to make the missing pieces).
The funny thing is, I do not know who made the durn thing! They have been discussed a few times in past forum years. Several people have speculated who may have made it. But I have not seen an advertisement yet that was the right one. And there is no name on any of them I have seen.

I am not sure about the wheels. But I have read that Ford of Canada may have used the five lug wheels for awhile. I know that a few wheel companies offered the "new balloon tires and wheels" about a year before Ford made them available from the factory. It is kind of funny when you see advertising for "balloon" tires from 1923/'24, and then think about the wheels and tires that were only about ten years away.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration