Wanted sourve for upper end of a starter bendix

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wanted sourve for upper end of a starter bendix
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

I can not find a source for the upper end of a Bendix that screw onto the Bendix core. I don't need 5021SL Bendix sleeve that clamps on the core. I need the other end that screws on the end. Please see the threads on cores that need this end on the upper part of the picture.

cores with threads

Also see the sleeve that I need to complete some bendixes. It has threads on the inside and two holes on the sides. I have note been able to find any of the sleeves in any of the catalogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

The sleeves that I need are in the picture (I hope) below.

missing sleeve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Please note that I have all the parts to complete these bendixes.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Dave; One of those is not like the others! :-) About the middle of the row is one that the threads go the other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

Mark, Thanks for the tip, someone else saw that also. I have a box of other Bendix that one will join them. I would not be surprised if it is a chevie because some chevie Bendix are in front of the flywheel and travel back rather than forward. Ron Patterson thinks the item I need is called a stop nut, do you have any ides of where I might get some. They are selling new bendixes in some of the catalogs so someone must be making them. I sure would like to get a bunch of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

I tried Chaffin's which is a good source for excellent parts but the told me that the new pieces are being made over seas and are different threads so can not be used on original Bendix cores. The also told me that the piece is called NOSE PIECE, SO at least I know the name now.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

Dave
If I needed about 10 of those I would talk to a friend of mine that has a CNC lathe and get them made from 4140 and then get them hardened by "gas Nitriding ". Probably make 50 cents on the project!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Dave
The correct name of the Bendix drive part your seeking is: Bendix drive, drive shaft, shaft gear, gear "STOP NUT"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 12:48 am:

Ron, what ever its called I guess I am going to have to have some made or just pick up more ready to rebuild ( I did pick up another nice one last Monday in a pickup pile of parts still on a working starter).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration