Thrust pin ordeal.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Thrust pin ordeal.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

Three broken drill bits, one broken tap. Tried the weld the nut method, screw and tap method, drill it out method. Stud welder and slide hammer worked perfectly on 1 of 4 thrust pins in the housing. The stud welder and slide hammer do not work on already damaged pins the interiors are too brittle. The stud welder and slide hammer took out one with a broken off drill bit.

Now all 4 are out with new ones back in but now they don't line up to the washers. See pictures.

Thrust pin 1
Thrust pin 2
Thrust pin 3
Thrust pin 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Remember that the pins only serve to keep the washer from revolving or falling down on to the differential carrier. Precision is not an issue here so enlarge the holes so they go over the pins and don't worry about it.
If you ever do any more, you might think about abandoning the old pins in place, grind them flush, rotate the washer a bit and drill 2 new pin holes.

(Message edited by Layden Butler on February 12, 2017)

(Message edited by Layden Butler on February 12, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Thanks Layden, what size bit for new pin holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

The larger pin appears to be in upside down. That's why it doesn't fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Jack I think it is the light tricking our eyes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Buy the new pins, measure them and size the hole for a drive fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

I have all new pins. Have extras they are in the right side up. I have a micrometer I am just not sure what drill bit will achieve a 'fit'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

I had some issues with the pins when I did my axle. The old pins were made from 2 pieces of rod, and I had to drill them out. I used a size "K" drill bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Makes sense Dan. The K bit is .281", the 9/32" bit is .2813" while the pin's larger diameter is supposed to be .280".
Drill bits have a nasty reputation for drilling holes a bit large so I know what I'd do to a 9/32" bit but I sure ain't mentioning it here.

Layden's notion gave me a huge aha! moment. The pins are only there to hold the washer AND if it all fails, drill two new holes. So simple! :-)
In three hundred years or more of drilling new holes, you run out of space and weaken the main part. :-)

Dumb question perhaps. The steel washers look a bit rough from their machining operations. Will they tend to wear the bronze washers prematurely?
Please correct me if I'm out of turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

I just Redrill the one hole egg shaped the pin still hold it from turning the one pin keeps it from moving

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

The pin measures 0.278 inches diameter. My drill bits go too big 0.310 or too small 0.247 inches. Hmmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Grind the side of the pin or obround the hole in the washer to fit the washer on the pin. If done carefully, the washer can be fit with a slight interference with the pin, so it doesn't fall off during assembly of the rear end.
Also make sure the surface of the housing the washer rests against is flat, especially in the area where the pins have been peened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Yes according to this useful chart of drill bits to inches, size K is it. http://www.gearhob.com/eng/design/drill_eng.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

So I bought a 9/32 drill bit which is pretty close. Now one of the pins goes too deep and both do not fit tight in their holes. They also are still slightly off on the washer. I am thinking of punting to a machine shop and having the holes redrilled and the pins put in. I don't see any reason that the empty holes would cause a problem on a re-drill. Just let them be? Any other possibilities for fixing this at this point?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

Or JB weld in to get the pins to stay put and egg the washer holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Ignacio, Depending on how loose the pins are, the JB weld to shim the over depth hole would work. I use red lock tight for OK depth loose pins. Make sure you let a enough time go by between using both things. Try using a original thrust washer, maybe the holes are off in your reproduction washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Took them to Fuller's Machining on Dumont street in South Houston. Good Feller there, very sophisticated tools that I didn't know what most of them where for. He re-drilled the holes right and I am back in business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:06 am:

One question. Are those new repro washer? Are they made right? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 06:08 am:

Wait, I guess that is two questions. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 08:18 am:

Now that's good news Ignacio.
The end of thrust pin he!!

Dan, I wondered and asked kinda the same on the 12th but truly wasn't sure if I...
I'm wondering how mine are gonna look...
Duane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:01 am:

That is a Lang's repro but the pins did not fit a used one either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Glad you got it fixed, good luck with the rest of the build. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration