How would this Kingston carburetor be used ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How would this Kingston carburetor be used ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

What kind of car would use this carburetor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

I REALLY can't wait for the correct answer to this one! No throttle shaft or butterfly?? Reminds me of the WWI airplanes that started and ran wide open till you killed the ignition to keep them from blowing up.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Butterfly is there.. just needed to apply some force.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

The butterfly shown on the carb is the choke.
This is a tractor carb that was attached to a governor mechanism with the throttle in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

Layden nailed it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Tractor, marine or stationary engine.

If it was used on a tractor or boat, then most likely there was another piece that would go between this body and the intake manifold. That part would have the throttling shaft and butterfly valve which would be connected via a rod to the governor (if the tractor had one) or directly to the hand or foot throttle control lever or pedal.

If it was used on a stationary engine, it could have been bolted directly to the intake manifold or cylinder head if the engine used a governor that interrupted the compression stroke by holding open the exhaust valve once the RPMs went beyond a set point (this is called a "Hit and Miss" governed engine). Once the engine slowed down below that threshold, the catch holding the exhaust valve would retract, the exhaust valve would close and the intake valve would open(usually from the "atmospheric" suction of the piston as it bottomed out in the cylinder)and it would also pull in a good dollop of fuel, no throttle plate needed.

It would employ a set-up similar to a tractor's if it used a "Throttle Governed" system to control engine speed.

Of course, if you had the throttle mechanism, their is no reason it couldn't have been used on an early car or truck too. You can see it has bosses cast where an integral throttle mechanism would have gone if this particular carburetor casting had been machined that way....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Scott, what does the bore and bolt spread measure? I ask because I wonder if it could be modified to fit my Maxwell if your looking to sell it.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

While everyone is looking at this carb, here is the version I'm looking for.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

I have a carb set up like that on my 1925 Case 12-20 tractor. Starts on gas and runs on kerosene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

I have an adapter that has a butterfly in it but I agree it most been coupled to a governor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Howard,
It would be extremely easy to fit a throttle shaft and butterfly to this one. No doubt a donor carburetor could supply the necessary parts if you aren't equipped to make them yourself. All you need is the correct length of shaft and compatible diameter of butterfly. As I said earlier, the pads where the shaft passes through the casting are already there, even the "ear" for the Idle set-screw stop is present!
I guess it all depends on how long you have been looking for one, and if this one is for sale....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

Howard, send me a message with your phone number.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration