1923 Touring side lamp questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1923 Touring side lamp questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis D.W. VanGorder on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

I have an electric start 1923 Touring car. I would like to add side lamps even though I know it is incorrect. I have searched for old threads & info but am coming up a tad short. What I would like is specific maker's names or model numbers so I get the correct ones for a '23.
I have found the needed brackets at Lang's for installation.
I would also be interested in a correct set of side lamps if anyone has any, otherwise I want to be prepared for swap meets or the classifieds should a set present themselves. Pictures would be most useful!

Thank you,
Travis D.W. VanGorder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

Basically, for any touring car or runabout/roadster of the starter era that wants to add sidelamps, the sidelamp brackets used by the factory from about 1922 through model Year '25 for touring and runabout cars I believe are still being reproduced and available from most of the model T regular parts suppliers.
There was a very good picture of them, and a link to one of the supplier' listing, in a recent thread. However my search skills are not what they should be, and I was unable to find it (maybe one of our wonderful and able regulars can recall it and be more successful with a search)
The subject of the thread was about the "proper" sidelamps for a fordor sedan model T. The bulk of the discussion was about the fact that no sidelamp is "proper" on any Ford fordor sedan (they all had starters as standard equipment and were therefore not equipped from the factory with sidelamps).
However, in the course of that discussion, the touring/runabout brackets were pictured in one of the posts. They have an angle between the body side of the mount, and the sidelamp side of the mount. That angle matches the curve-in of the cowl. The brackets mount over the bottom of the windshield mounting brackets, using the two bottom holes on the windshield mounting brackets. These same brackets should work on both the slanted windshield brackets of 1923 through '25, or the earlier straight windshield brackets of 1915 through '22 if needed.

As for the sidelamps themselves. The big differences that you should avoid is the round inside shell of the lamp, brass rim or top, or a chimney with a row of holes all the way around the bottom of it. These are early pieces, and belong on cars built before 1919. The square inner shell/reflector began about 1918 (most of the other different pieces changed even before that). The square inner shell/reflector (along with the steel rims and tops) continued with a few very minor variations until the end of model T production.
Some 1925s, as well as '26/'27s without starters used a "Ford O" tail or side lamp. The taillamp is quite distinctive because the red and clear lenses and placements are flipped! (The lenses weren't the only thing that got flipped :-) ) The "Ford O" sidelamps I think are not very different from any of the '20s T sidelamps, but I am not really certain about that.

I hope some of that can help.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

In the later years, Ford used several suppliers, so any would be correct, Juno W Brown, Thomas Corcoran, and Edmund and Jones (E&J). Most should have the Ford script on top of the chimney.

Just try to find a matched pair of the same brand, these later round font sidelamps have square interior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

I meant to also add, that at least three (I think I can name four including the Canadian variant) companies manufactured the model T's side and tail lamps to Ford's specifications. The parts are supposed to interchange (although the fit may not be perfect). And most of the different companies may or may not have made minor changes themselves. For example. Most of the tops I see have no name stamp on them whatsoever. Some have a sharp and clear name stamping. Some, can barely be read at all. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to which were used when.
The lens rim/bezel also varied in the way the bottom hinge was attached, and the type or specifics of the spring catch at the top of the bezel. Again, no real year use appears wrong.

In my rush to post the first reply above, I see I missed at least two typos! Shall we have a contest to see who else can find them first?
Oh well, they aren't my first, and hopefully, won't be my last!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis D.W. VanGorder on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Thank you for the great answers! The information & picture help narrow it down a lot for me. I thought it was much more complicated to come up with the correct year side lamps.

My next question is were does one acquire side lamps? I'm really not social & swap meets seem intimidating especially when I am unsure of a value or even what I'm looking at. I thought vendors would offer these but that does not seem to be the case.

Thank you again for the thoughtful information you provided!
Travis DW VanGorder

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration