Another little leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Another little leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

After getting our '21 running we had a water pump leak, dealt with in another post, and got it fixed. I also have a small leak at the sediment bowl. I thought it was coming from the fitting that has the screen in it. Turns out it appears to be leaking where the top lever, that shuts off the fuel. When I "restored" the sediment bowl the spring that puts pressure on that shaft was rusted and broken. I'm thinking that I put a too-weak spring on it, not putting enough pressure on the tapered shaft in the matching tapered bore. I suppose I will put another, stronger spring on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

A stronger spring might help, but what I do is give the base of the handle a sharp tap with a small hammer to help seat the valve after I close it. Later, if I need to open the valve, I give the side with the spring a sharp tap with the same hammer to unseat the valve before I turn the handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Tommy, do you still need that fitting? You never replied to my E-mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:04 am:

You may need to lap that valve in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:46 am:

Ken, I thought about that when I had it apart but didn't do it. I hope to fix the leak without removing the sediment bulb from the tank. The bulb got really tight before it turned to the right position. It should never leak at those threads. I don't think there are seals on that top shaft. The tapered shaft just seals in the tapered bore right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Correct, the tapered shaft is supposed to be a very close, lapped fit in its bore. Empty the tank, then remove the tapered shaft, give it a coating of your favorite mild abrasive (I use Simichrome or event toothpaste) and lap it in. Clean off all of the abrasive, then lube and re-assemble with your old spring or a slightly stiffer one if you have it.

There are earlier threads on fuel lube, you can buy it from the vendors, or for less from other sources.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/636369.html?1461512407

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/215816.html?1307392255

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration