RADIATOR REPLACEMENT CHOICES 1924 T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: RADIATOR REPLACEMENT CHOICES 1924 T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

IM LOOKING FOR A REPLACEMENT RAD. FOR MY 1924 T TOURING . SOME PEOPLE GO WITH BERGS AND SOME GO WITH BRASSWORKS,,,
WE CAN ACTUALLY GET THE BRASSWORKS CHEAPER AT LANGS THEN AT THE MANUFACTURE HIMSELF. AND THE BERGS IS $100 more. AND OF COURSE IM GOING FOR THE FLAT . WHATS YOUR OPINION ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

My Brassworks radiators have done well. The one in my '25 was purchased in 2002. I haven't tried Bergs yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

Brass works do just fine. The only issue I had using Berg's is that the upper tank does not look correct and takes a 7" long upper hose to connect to the block

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 02:26 am:

I personally witnessed a brand new Brassworks radiator leaking after installation right out of the box. The owner had to take it out and send it back for repairs. If it were me, I'd go with Bergs. Just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 06:40 am:

I just put a new Brassworks on my 24 last summer. Works great. Car runs nice and cool now. No issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 07:03 am:

I went with Bergs on the last because BW was sounding a bit hit or miss at the time and I have to say...I marvel at Jery work!

I had no problem with hoses...I used stock lengths...I had no issue with spout neck location, it dropped in fine...and maybe the top tank differs a tad from the OEM, but who sees it anyway?

I did not have an overheat problem before, just a honeycomb that had a wisp of a leak that never seemed to take the water down by much but I will say the old honeycomb had a bit of Thermo Barf Glug on summer days when shut off...and the new Bergs doesn't make a sound at all...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 07:08 am:

I had the same experience as Dave Barker did with our new BW radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 07:34 am:

I have two Berg's radiators on black era T's. I am very happy with them. There have been too many complaints about Brassworks quality, and more important to me, customer service, for me to take that gamble. After buying my first Berg's radiator, when it came time for a new one on the next vehicle, there was no question that it would be a Berg's too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 08:48 am:

AS WE CAN SEE , lots of opinions !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:02 am:

The Bergs fit perfectly and do not have any issues. I've heard of several problems with brass works radiators.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:39 am:

There's a certain parts dealer some of us avoid because of our previous unsatisfactory experiences. Obviously, if everybody had those experiences this outfit wouldn't still be in business. Most customers escape their transactions unscathed, or not scathed seriously enough to make them gun shy, but some of us had bad luck and cheerfully do our parts shopping elsewhere. Based on recent forum discussions, it appears to me that the current Brassworks operation is similar. Many customers are perfectly satisfied while some have had unhappy experiences. On the other hand, the only complaint I've seen about Berg radiators is that they don't match the Ford originals in all details. All reports I've seen on the functionality of Berg radiators, and on dealing with Gery Bergbower, have been glowing. So it seems to me that either choice is probably OK, but one carries a higher risk of things taking an unfortunate turn. So far I have two Berg's radiators, and eventually will probably have another one or two. For my only brass era radiator I chose to have my original recored. That saved a few Benjamins, but more important to me was the same factor that draws gripes on Berg's black era product, inauthenticity. At the time I was dealing with the issue, the new Brassworks radiators I had seen were constructed differently enough from the originals that I wanted to keep my old one. That was a few years ago. I don't know if the current reproductions are a better match.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Understood !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

I have used several of the Berg's radiators without any issues whatever. A GREAT product!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Bergs - perfect fit, stronger construction than the original (I think it was a copy of a Wards design?), flat tubes more efficient and it never boils, even on a 40C day. That's all I would ever install in my car.
As for another well known radiator manufacturer, I personally know someone who had problems with his new one straight out of the box leaking from day one and they didn't want to know about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Ooops ! Tx John H.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

I have both a Berg's and a Brass Works on two different cars. The Brass Works is older but I have had to repair two different leaks that I was told was poor soldering from the factory. My Berg's just keep cooling with no problems.
These radiators are expensive, but to have to pay even more for poor quality repairs is just not right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:09 am:

More good news from Steve Thum !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:24 am:

Have 4 Berg's and my 5th arrived three weeks ago. Quality product and FANTASTIC customer service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:56 am:

The trouble with Bergs radiators, is they don't look anything like the originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:42 am:

IT LOOKS LIKE BY THE COMMENTS THAT THE BRASSWORKS AT LEAST LOOKS BETTER AND FITS BETTER THAN BERGS ,,,,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Only the upper tank looks different. Only matters if you're looking to show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:09 am:

All my cars are drivers and when I need a radiator I get it from Bergs. Never had a problem with any of them and I am on my 4th including a brass radiator from years ago when he was making them. I have an older Brass Works brass radiator on one of my cars and have issues with poor solder joints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Thanks Val and Ron .... tx to all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Bergs is the best by far for me. It looks just as good as the originals and very well made. Its a copy of the Wards design radiator which was better in some ways from Ford's for some people.

Its all in how 'pure' you want to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

"IT LOOKS LIKE BY THE COMMENTS THAT THE BRASSWORKS AT LEAST LOOKS BETTER AND FITS BETTER THAN BERGS ,,,,"

Ummmmmm.....without re-reading the whole thread, I wonder did you get this backwards? I don't recall seeing anyone saying that the Berg's did not fit. Actually, the contrary. Or did I miss something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Hal :i think someone said Bergs needed a longer upper hose and the upper tank didnt look original . And the Brassworks looks good but doesnt works !!!! lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Thanks. Yes, I do now remember someone mentioning that they needed a longer hose. That was not the case with either of mine, though, so I must admit, I promptly forgot it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

I think we got a winner here but lets have the comments coming... we can always learn something new , dont agree?
Im thinking about what parts dealer
Steve Jelf was talking about to stay away from , but i dont want to believe is the one im thinking of....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

I've been tempted to get a new radiator for the '24 but I don't want one that will leak or that doesn't look right. So my choice was to keep the original round tube radiator which really works OK and live with some occasional drips. I think it is kind of cool to have an 90+ year old radiator still doing the job.

If Berg's made a radiator that looked right, in addition to the good quality and service, it would be even more popular....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

Mine is just all gonna and beyond repairs John ! And im not going to take anymore chances.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Brassworks on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

John Carter - Cornmeal?

https://holidaymag.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/jalopies-i-cursed-and-loved-by-john- steinbeck-july-1954/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 02:14 am:

THE BRASSWORKS : Are you out of topic ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Thanks for all the inputs and im sure
that everybody were able to get the idea of
whats the best radiator around !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Brassworks on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Yesterday I sent a private message suggesting you contacting the manufacturers directly for information. Perhaps it was not received.

Manufacturer opinions on this forum are as scarce as hen's teeth. Ours is no different. If, however, you need information on radiators and how they are constructed I can provide that and you can use it (or not) to form your own opinion.

RE: out of topic, on topic, off topic etc.

Forums are a bit of a mystery to me. I liked John Carter's take on radiator replacement and offered Steinbeck's cornmeal solution to a Model Ts leaking radiator. If it somehow was beyond the scope of the topic my apologies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

Mr Brassworks ( since i dont know your name ) : First of all im not here to put any manuf. down as you can see by my messages.
Yes i got your pm . but im not looking for any manufc . info or opinion otherwise
we would start the topic as such .
This is a forum for Model t driver , model t free people . Honestly , a manufc. shouldnt take part on this conversation . I see that some people say bad things about your product and ALSO about Bergs. But since youre here and took the time to contact me and even corrected my GRAMMAR ( " out of topic , on topic ) and i thank you for that , and also offer John Carters a 'cute' solution to his problem why dont you take advantage of the situation and try to talk right here on this conversation with the few unhappy customers that were not satisfied with your product ? Im sure youre not going to ignore them right ? And i believe will be the best free publicity . I am not your customer so we really have nothing to talk about and i have nothing bad to say about Brassworks but in case i choose to buy your product and i have a problem , i hope that you stand by it right ?
Again : I would like to hear peoples opinions ! and thats what this free blog
is all about . I have no intention to put one manufacturer or another down but you and your company and Bergs have to respect peoples opinion and freedon to express their opinions !
I like to thank all my Model T brothers for express their opinions and respectfully help me and im sorry that this conversation got ruined and lets
leave it the way it is . I like ask all of you not to make any more comments .
Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

My Bergs needed a longer upper hose when I installed it in my '27. Was told they use the same top for both high and low configurations requiring a bit longer hose for the tall installation.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration