POLL: Would you reuse this rear bearing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: POLL: Would you reuse this rear bearing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Chester on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Pulled this rear bearing tonight and cleaned it up. Anyone see any issues with reusing it? Some rust, presumably from some water that had gotten in.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!As1loIGBBM34h51ocoGdo4phUy0-pw

(You may have to copy/paste the entire link to open the video).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

I don't like it. The only way I'd use that would be temporarily in a car that doesn't get much use, while shopping for better bearings. Did you measure it for wear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Chester on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

Thanks Steve. They measure at 0.491". Is that good or bad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 12:15 am:

Try to find one who is 0.495-0.498 to use..0.4910 is well worn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Here's a shortened link: https://goo.gl/MFFKZH

Doesn't look all that bad, 0.491" sounds worse than it looks? Is the cage stiff when twisting from both sides? Usually they're loose and more pitted by the time they're down at 0.495"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:36 am:

If you have to question it, replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:39 am:

The pitting isn't so much the issue. At .491 it's too worn out for my liking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:17 am:

There's more to consider than just the bearing. What does the axle look like? Is it new? Are you using new bearing sleeves?

Some say the pits hold grease. I say the pits hold metal particles shaved off the axle and sleeve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Dead link to the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

I would not reuse it if I had a better one. However someone else drove with that one many may miles. The bearing is not probably why they stopped. How you are going to use the car would be a factor.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration