Turtle deck floor ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Turtle deck floor ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Turtle deck on my '13 roadster has a wood frame around the bottom, the sheet metal is nailed to this, and the whole is bolted to the deck behind the seat, which is covered with sheet metal.

That interior frame has a rabbet around the inside edge - my question is, did the turtle deck have an additional interior wooden floor that fit into that rabbet, or does the main body sheet metal decking serve as the floor for the "turtle" ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 12:27 am:

The trunk should have its own wooden floor.

The sheet metal deck does not serve as the trunk floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 12:46 am:

On my '25 roadster there is no metal sub floor. Just the wood boards that are screwed down in the rabbat at the sides. On the 25, there is a small trap door in there to access the battery. The wood floor on my car is made from 3/4 inch pine. I wonder it that should be 7/8 or ?? to create a flat surface?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

I'm currently restoring a very original Fisher bodied '13 runabout. There is no rabbet around the inside wood. The sheet metal back panel of the body goes all the way from the tack strip to the rear sill, and this makes the floor for the turtle deck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

My 1913 turtle was a very flimsy unit without back or floor support(only tin). I couldn't figure it out. ( not like the 25 TD I had with my roadster)Jim Finney sent a photo of an original unaltered one that he had showing the wooden floor and back support with measurements. I copied his wood. Installed the turtle deck became solid. I do not know how many companies made the bodies and weather the turtle decks interchanged. I would think they would but I don't know. Interesting topic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Larry, possibility there are such differences between bodies supplied by different coach makers ? How can one identify the maker ? I've heard of initials stamped in the heel plate of the seat riser below the seat cushion, mine has none. Serial number is preceded by a "W". I've been told it could be a Wilson body.

Car was restored, but I'm quite sure the turtle deck bottom frame is original wood. The rabbet is only on the side rails, none on the fore and aft members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Anything else Larry? What other info can you share on this topic?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration