Engine Rotates, then Catches

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Engine Rotates, then Catches
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:10 am:

As I'm working through this '24 T, I'm finding that most all the issues are associated with wear and that things are generally just worn out.

When I rotate the engine with the crank, it spins nicely, then catches a spot where it takes a lot of effort to get past, then spins freely again.

I was rotating it with the head off yesterday in order to watch all the valves and they all seemed to be free. I guess I'll pull the oil and watch the bottom end as it rotates.

Anything else this could be?

Since the overall goal of this car initially will be to make it into sort of a glorified golf-cart to put around the neighborhood and the occasional swap meet, I'm ok with "less than ideal" in a lot of ways. As time goes by, I'll probably pull the engine/trans and rebuild them, and leave the body in crusty, farm condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Extra long bolt on the oil pan inspection cover ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:21 am:

An out of round journal, likely a rod journal. Someone could have overtightened (filed the cap too much or pulled to many shims) in the past in order to cure a rod knock. I'd loosen #1 first and see if you lose the tight spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:35 am:

I go with Tim, especially if it seems to suddenly catch something rather than gradually getting hard. If it gradually gets hard then it will be a friction spot and could be anywhere from a bad tooth on the camshaft to a out of round transmission band.
Try to determine if it is a sudden knock or gradual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

UPDATE:

Basically all the gaskets associated with the hogshead and starter are leaking terribly so the hogshead is coming off.

Tonight I loosened the transmission bands and removed the band springs and, out of curiosity, I decided to rotate the engine with the hand crank.

It totally spins free now.

I compared a new spring from Lang's to one of the existing springs and wow...what a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Don, some of the new springs are made intentionally longer than the old ones to insure that Kevlar bands fully release. If removing the hogshead and bands cured the problem than one or more of the band were probably adjusted too tight.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

I just saw that you did not actually remove the bands and hogshead you just loosened them. The rest of my comment still stands. :-)

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

thanks Stephen.

I'm thinking the clutch spring is probably worn out too.

I have a new one. How hard is it to replace with the hogshead off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Clutch spring replacement is done with the engine/transmission out of the car, on an engine stand, nose down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Dang Steve....not what I wanted to hear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 08:21 am:

See page 139 of the Ford Model T Service manual for the in-car procedure. It requires that you disconnect the rear axle from the back of the transmission and slide the rear axle back to make room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Good luck with that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration