Frozen Brake Hub Cam shaft #2557 (and cabin fever)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Frozen Brake Hub Cam shaft #2557 (and cabin fever)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Cabin fever has taken over. Some say they can even see it in the forum threads. Today it warmed up to 34 degrees and it was time to drive the T.
It started easily enough but would not go into High gear. It turned out to be the fault of the right brake cam shaft freezing or maybe both. I tried WD-40 but it would not spray from the can. Kroil did. After a short drive and forcing the hand lever forward the clutch engaged but it took some pounding on the cam lever #2562 before normal engagement happened. This happened in a '26-'27 brake once but never the early type. While new bushings are good I didn't see this with old worn out ones.
My screw jack was dragging in the initial raising of the rear wheel. I suspect frozen moisture. Salt water could have been the brake problem but not the jack problem.

It is nice to be driving a T after a few weeks without.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

I took the Touring out the other day because I had to run to the store. It was 29* and I don't have side curtains. A fellow in the parking lot looked over and said " A little bit chilly for that isn't it?" I said "No different then a snowmobile, You just need to dress warm." We both laughed and I froze my butt off the whole way home.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration