OT - Survival kits

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Survival kits
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

Just a random thought, I have them now and then. Howís your survival kits doing?? Spent the morning gathering up, renewing or replacing enough food and water, flashlights, batteries, etc, etc, in a couple of backpacks for the wife and I to get by for a few days if necessary. After watching the Oroville Dam mess unfold and thinking about 188,000 people on the move, itís going to look like swarm of locusts have passed through that area. The stores will be or are empty, no fuel etc, etc.

We arenít big on tornados here in Utah, but the mother of all earthquakes is somewhere out there on the horizon and when it hits, all hell is going to break loose. Donít mean for this to be a downer, but on the other hand better to be prepared to survive whatever for a few days until help can arrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

My survival kit is a 12 pack of beer and a bag of pretzels. It's up to the other half to fend for herself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Ron, Not really a survivalist like on the TV shows. But being from a depression era dustbowl days family we are always prepared. Have enough food for a year for us, the kids, and the grandkids. and enough diesel to run the tractors for a couple years of just necessary farming tasks. We still have almost a self sufficient farm in operating condition. Would take very little to be back up to full speed. And between us, and other neighbors that will band together. We could fend off a pretty sizeable attack. After all. We are mostly old hillbillies from the Ozark Mountains. and "A country boy will survive"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

When we evacuated for 3 days in 2003 "Cedar Fire". We just took a few clothes, our old pictures and documents and two cars. Left everything else. The flames were seen a mile away. Fortunately, a couple of charitable organizations were there with food for everyone. They had cots set up but too much commotion. We slept in the car. The Red Cross did furnish us with blankets. When we got home, the power had been out and all the food in the freezer was ruined as well as the floor under it, but that was the only damage, and we did not starve to death. It took a week before the power was back on.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Dennis, ... you're so sweet. Are you just saying that because it is
St. Valentine's Day ? :-)

FEED the grandkids ? I thought old hillbillies ATE the grandkids ?
All young and tender. That's good eatin' ! Or at least threaten to, if
they don't clean their rooms !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

I wouldn't bother with the pretzels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Florida Freighter Jim For Now on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Dennis,

On your headstone:

Here Lies Dennis
He Would Not Share His Pretzels Or Beer
With The Women He Loved
So She Laid Him Here

Florida Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Some people have way too much time on their hands!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Survival kits, well the news makes a big show of everybody needing those kits here. It basically groups people into 3 categories. First those that do nothing. Second those that pack their emergency "kit" and run to a "safe" place. I'm part of the 3rd group, tie everything down, put up the shutters and sit it out in a place thats built. The advantage of this is having everything you need at home. There really is no telling where the hurricanes go although given the chance the news will scare everybody they can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

"Heard of a van that is loaded with weapons,
packed up and ready to go-
Heard of some gravesites, out by the highway,
a place that nobody knows.

I got some groceries, some peanut butter,
to last a couple of days.
But I aint got no speakers, aint got no headphones,
aint got no records to play........."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Florida Freighter Jim For Now on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

You took a wrong turn ....
Went down a narrow single track dirt road ....
Don't bother stopping to ask for directions ....

You have entered .....

The T Light Zone

Florida Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:50 am:

This event (Oroville Evacuation--which, IMHO, should not have been downgraded to a Warning yet; the dam isn't fixed and storms are coming in) has made me very aware of being prepared--though I don't know if I'll change any of my habits! We are out of the evacuation area because we are above the dam. I had the fridge & freezer full, so once we made it home, I felt that we were prepared--as long as the power and phone lasted. If the spillway failed, we would likely lose phone, as the switching office is in the flood zone, although it is a bit high. Power, well, it would depend on how much damage the powerline towers be subject to. BUT! After a few days, I realized we were running low on gasoline, and some groceries. The stores were closed, except the on up here, and despite laws prohibiting price gouging, a can of Chili was now $4, and gas was over $3.00 a gallon--except they ran out!
I could drive 25 miles up to where Terry Horlick lives and get food and gas-as long as I left here with enough gas to get there! :-)
Life is somewhat more normal now, although downtown is on evacuation watch, and everyone is supposed to be ready to leave at a moment's notice. I hope, for their sake, that the Highway Patrol has a better plan to keep the traffic moving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:06 am:

Wouldn't the inventory of a "survival kit" largely depend on what one
needs to survive ? You can have all the gas, guns, ammo, food, etc.
when that dam breaches and it would not do a person in town a lick of
good ! That wall of water would sweep the entire town all the way to
Antioch !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration