1911 Torpedo Runabout for sale - learning exercise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1911 Torpedo Runabout for sale - learning exercise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:11 am:

I don't want to pick apart someone's car, but it is for sale, and I'm sure anyone considering it would appreciate knowing what's right and what's incorrect. I appreciate the learning exercise...so thoughts on this one?

http://www.hcca.org/classifieds.php?cars#

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:42 am:

I like the car, but why is there a filing cabinet on the running board next to the generator?
Also, the tool box at the rear looks suspiciously like the factory installed one on my 1955 Cat D4 dozer, and its almost the same shade as the crawler's horribly sun-faded "Caterpillar Yellow"!

Still, a scarce and desirable car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Looked at it too. At $34K it needs to be looked at carefully in person. BUT...YELLOW? Took care of it for me. Not in the mood to spend $ on a paint job & no mention of engine & rear end condition. Wasnt this car on the market a coupla years ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:13 am:

That would be a fun driver. Appears to have late engine. Battery Box on running board. Not sure about tool box but looks to be running board type common for Ts mounted on rear. Interesting .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Agree with Tim, look very carefully and pay close attention to details. The coil box is the only thing obviously wrong in the few pictures provided.
I looked at this car a year ago. The differential was incorrect and the engine block number stamping area didn't look right to me. It has a two piece timer and the brass headlights are E&J 666.
But you need a better expert than me to pass final judgement. And I couldn't get past the color either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:55 am:

I have a '13 runabout that was painted a lighter shade of yellow with green fenders and running gear! What makes people do those things?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Because they can ? They'd probably admit it if they're tone-deaf, but everyone is a "color expert" even if they're color blind !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Over the years colors have been picked by spouses who allowed us to spend time on the cars. Like alternators and disc brakes some leeway is taken. At least this car survived. It gives us a chance to share our knowledge here.
Nice to see it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

A mid 50's "restoration".....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Richard,
"At least this car survived", there is a large probability that this car did not exist before 1970.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

This is like throwing away a Christmas gift because you don't like the wrapping paper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

That could very well be Layden. It is still fun to look at.

I mentioned Spouses earlier. Let's not forget it is Valentine's Day with something for her.

No matter how creepy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Did you see the 1910 model T just below in the Craigslist.
Time capsule ? That's a car to my taste. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

I'm sure the guy who painted it originally loved it, some still might. I plan to paint my speedster a rich dark blue/purple, seriously I kid you not purple. I'm sure painting maybe the fenders, accents on wheels would make a world of difference and could be done on a tight budget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

I think that some of the unusual color choices may reflect a persons " school colors "...we have a TT truck locally that is owned by CSU ...it is sh#t muckel green and yellow ...always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

Jeff, May be for preservation , not restoration

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

The engine is not 1911 it's later as can be seen because of the engine number located above the water outlet, and the rear is later as you can see the ribbed backing plate on the rear in one photo of the back of the car which wasn't used until 1916. You can't see the pumpkin, but it certainly is not a 6 or 12 rivet rear. Even if the body is original, without its original Torpedo engine number the car could never be 100% identified as an original torpedo. Maybe the owner has old paperwork with the original number which would be almost as good as having the original engine itself, but I doubt it because this car looks like something someone put together.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration