Old Photo - Getting Ready To Board The Auto Ferry

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Getting Ready To Board The Auto Ferry
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Hi Jay,

Another great blast from the past. Thank you for sharing.

I really like those "vacation destination" pennants. I can recall, when my parents took us on vacation, seeing pennants of that sort in the gift shops.

Thank you, again, for a pleasant reminiscence. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

I don't know how you do it, but you sure seem to find a lot of 15 T pictures. By the looks of the fenders and windshield this is another 15-16 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Modern day Model T ferry crossing. We all had to go back in 2016 for a 2nd go-round!

https://vimeo.com/193821231

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

The low angle shows the flatness of the fender nicely. Also the truss rod has been added to the rear end. It looks like the tail light was relocated for the two spare tires.
Yes, Jay does find some good ones.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

Here's a modern photo to contrast. Our car in Newport Beach getting ready to cross the Harbor to Balboa Island:

b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Bill, I thought that was a painting until I blew it up. All the color fooled me. Must be winter, color is not normal here right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

I think that shot was taken in November... it was enhanced to give the oil painting look :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 07:03 am:

This is a shot in the dark. Given where the car has been. This maybe the ferry at Ticonderoga, NY crossing Lake Champlain. I've crossed on this ferry many times in my old Fords and T's. It was here I was waiting first in line in my 26 Grapes of Wrath, and was seriously asked if it ran. I was temped to say "no, I pushed it this far" but didn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 08:39 am:

Here's the Ticonderoga Ferry last year. It runs on a cable that rests on the bottom of Lake Champlain. It is seasonal as the lake freezes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Anybody remember all the bumper stickers plastered on the family car as a result of stops at tourist traps along the way to your vacation destinations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:08 am:

The ferry crossing could also be in the 1000 Islands area to Canada as the car has a 1000 Island banner. There were several located along the St Lawrence river. Most are gone, replaced by bridges. Only one in operation now. Cape Vincent NY to Wolfe Island, Ontario, a short drive across the Island to another Ferry to Kingston, Ontario.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Yes, John.

These pennants evolved into bumper stickers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

This picture was taken on a tour in western New York state last September, crossing Chautauqua Lake on the cable-operated Bemus Point - Stow ferry. It dates from 1911. There's a highway bridge now, so the ferry normally operates as a tourist attraction only on weekends, but the tourmaster got the owner to operate it for us on a Monday. I don't remember the T's owner; the Stanley in the background is mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Ironton, MI ferry across Lake Charlevoix. Have used it's replacement several times when I lived in the area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Gilbert,
Hmm, most ferry's have a sign, "Extinguish all Fires" Did anyone ask about the Stanley's pilot light?
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, February 19, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

My problem isn't putting it out, it's keeping the dadburned thang lit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 01:06 am:

Ah yes, I remember those days, but I thought it was my fault since I built the pilot light!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration