1913 Model T fenders

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1913 Model T fenders
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

I have a 1913 Model T that has been in the family since just before WWll. the fenders have rusted near where they join the running boards and the braces for the top have rusted thru on one of them. I am wondering if it is better to replace the fenders and braces or to keep the original ones if they can be repaired?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

Keep 'em!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Jackson II on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Robert.....Agree with Tim - "Keep'em". It is not unusual for the fenders to have rust issues where they mate with the running board. That damage is repairable. FyI: I did replace the right front fender on my '14, as it was '15 style, with a Rootlieb fender and it fit perfectly without any issues.......John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Pictures would help, but just guessing, I would think you could get affordable repairs you would be very happy with from a skilled TIG welder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

NEW QUESTION. Just how hard is it to remove a rear center body panel on a 1913 Touring? Or does anyone know how to prevent the panel paint from checking? I have been told that checked paint will only check again if not treated properly before repainting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

Yes hard to remove. I had mine apart several years ago and had to remove the rear upholstery and then the tack strips and then what seemed like a tone of tacks. My back panels had two or three spot welds that I had to drill out. I don't think they were original but troublesome none the less. Just strip it to bare mental and prime with an epoxy primer and the checking will end. You are correct that it will continue if you just paint over the old finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

When painting a 13 Model T ford exactly what should be blue and what should be black? Especially around the door edge?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Robert, the body will be blue. Everything else will be black, including the hood former.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

So my 1913 Model T has headlights that are not painted black on the body. Would this mean that they are not the correct headlights? The body is silver. I sanded down to the metal and never saw anything but silver and underneath the chimney is silver also. They are E and J headlights and I cannot find anything about silver. I did see a picture of a 13 Runabout that had silver on the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Robert, that's a good question. I've only seen the usual black/brass headlamps, except for one instance of a picture with headlamps that were all brass, with the typical chimney for a '13. Perhaps all you're looking at is plain ol' bare metal. Clean 'em up with lacquer thinner and paint the headlamp body a.k.a. bucket, black.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration