OT I love my job!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT I love my job!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Had to show what can be done without vinyl and plastic. A fellow contractor found this cabin covered with aluminum and drywall and added onto. Tore it down and set it up on his property. Hires me to put the roof on and windows and doors. Been working on it on and off for the last year. Now we are adding the porch. Most is reclaimed lumber. All otwr like the window frames and flooring is rough cut poplar. Have no idea the age of cabin but its a story and a half. I will be taking some pics with the RPU in front this summer. Should look great in black and white. Working with twisted logs and old lumber is not the easiest way to go but totally worth the effoet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Florida Freighter Jim For Now on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Dallas,

Great pictures ....

Florida Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

That's very reminiscent of Doctor Higley's cabin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

I had worked on one years ago that all the logs were square. Notches were the same in the corners. We built a 2 story addition on the back away from the road . They were true craftsman to get the notched corners just perfect with hand tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

looks like a Cabin I Built
WARM in the Winter COOL in the Summer
Loved it -Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

That has got to be rewarding work. We need to see a picture with your Roadster Pickup next to it.
Thanks for letting us see it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

What do you put in between the logs to seal them? Looks like it couldn't set up rock hard because the wood will swell at times. I know if it rains for a week just the humidity swells the coils in my 14 and you can barely get them out and it's under a roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Its a flexable mud mix. Stays flexable. Origially it was morter in this one. That was fun to deal with. It was in all the splits in the logs when I was cutting and straightening the openings. Useed a lot of blades and chainsaw chains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Dallas, what a cool cabin and neat project for both of you. Looks remarkably similar to this one,altho it doesn't have the chimney. Sorry Pete's in the way! This is at a fellow club members place. Like your contractor friend, he too bought it, took it down piece by piece, labeled each part (of course) and re-assembled on his property. He says it dates back to around 1855 or so. What I wouldn't give to have it in my back yard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

I hear you Tim. If those old cabins could talk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

I love old cabins.

The Wills cabin in Wills Point, TX was built by my Wills ancestors and I love stopping by there and feeling the connection with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Ever watch "Barnwood Builders" no the DIY network Dallas? They do some pretty remarkable things with those old cabins and barns. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Look at the size of the logs in this old barn:
Logs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Within months you will get the calls asking if you'd like a bid for vinyl
siding and windows, dish TV service, and ADT sticker for the window ....
you know, all the good new stuff to make a place like this "home" ...
cover up all that icky, dirty wood. You know, "it never needs painting"
and comes with a lifetime warranty ! A good, shiny 6' vinyl fence around
the perimeter to ensure no one sees this eyesore is also a good option.

This place would look really good with a dish on the roof, maybe a powder
blue plastic siding, and the sumptuous look of orange-brown "real woodgrain"
plastic fencing all around. Plant in a bunch of non-native ornamental trees
and shrubs, some bark for groundcover (don't forget the plastic "weed
blocker" mesh under the bark !

Yeah .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Dallas....Some guy's have all the luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Burger, I should be charging 4 times the average rate. This is tiny house building and organic building. A new fad in our society . G.R I am pretty lucky. Ken can you imagine manhandling those logs into place to check the fit and over and over?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

Wonderful photos all! Dallas, thank you for sharing!
Chinking with something that's flexible? Huh? Whooda thunk.
Oh yeah, that Swamp Donkey of yours will look great in a B&W pic with that cabin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Making progress, original rafters are now porch rail. I think they are locust. Hard as rock.5/4 rough sawn poplar planking for floor.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration