1926 speedometer cable routing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 speedometer cable routing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clifford F. Smith on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

I have a 490 speedometer and the spiral road gear. Not sure where to rout the cable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:23 am:

As dealer installed, there isn't a correct way.

This '26 Coupe had the road gear on the driver's wheel, and the cable runs up in front of the splash shield, up under the cowl, and to the dash board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Dan, Did all 26-27 speedometers, regardless of manufacturer, drive off the left front wheel? I am under the impression that only AC (as pictured in the phot above, did. I thought all Stewarts (160 and 490) mounted on the right hand side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Hi Dan,

WHAT, pray tell, is that sheet metal cover on the cylinder head??? Is that the protective housing for the Flux Capacitor??? GREAT SCOTT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

Terry

You may be right, at this is an AC fitting. Would be likely the Stewarts are passenger side.

Bill

You need to remember, this is a '26.....that sheet metal is the coil box!

And for Clifford, here is an older post on placing the 490. One pic shows the cable coming up out of the floorboard to the dash.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/211242.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

Bill, Just look on Ebay. Sellers on Ebay call them magnetos or spark capacitors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Hi Dan,

D'oh!
Heavy sigh. Golly, I got tricked by one of them modern cars. Embarrassed Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:59 am:

I have a 490 and routed the cable from the speedometer through a U shaped groove cut at the top of the uppermost floorboard section between the floorboard and firewall (to the right of the choke rod), then down through the oval hole under the carburetor in the engine side pan to the spindle gear assembly. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration