OT looking at 1918 REO speedwagon

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT looking at 1918 REO speedwagon
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Does anyone here have any experience with these? My friend has one, looking to get rid of it. It's solid. All mechanical bits gone through or new and not installed yet . I'd like to consider it but I'm finding the REO club is very 30s heavy and not much help to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

I, once, had a REO fire truck , 20's vintage. Main problem, not many spare parts around unless you go to Hershey or a swap meet like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Yeah, it has homemade fenders. Very well done, but not original. Nice looking rig, just want to make sure that it is not an unreasonable project to take on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

I've got a scratch-built 1910 REO truck. Not one single part available. Even the emblems had to be homemade. I used some T stuff....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Gary that's a beauty. Makes me a bit more ambitious

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

I'm guessing the motor is under the seat? How would water get from there to the radiator? Or is that a fake radiator? Looks nice, I can't figure it out though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

Pete Wright of the Long Beach Model T Club has this beautiful 1915 Speedwagon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

We have a 1912 Reo touring in the family. I believe the drive train in the speedwagon is much the same only a bit bigger. Our Reo is an excellent car. Very reliable and tough. My dad drove it coast to coast 20 years ago with no problems. Reo parts do seem to show up every now and then.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 01:50 am:

We have a 1915 Speedwagon in the shop right now. Ran poorly due to a mis timed camshaft. It appears to be a fine machine with many advanced features. The chain drive starter is different. 26" NON SKID tires. Very cool. This one is from the Knott's Berry Farm collection. Cant wait to drive it. Faxon's sells reprints of a couple of good books on these. Not nearly the parts availability or club help for REO as for T's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 06:49 am:

Well. I knew posting here would get me some info. It's not a 1918. It's a 15. The fenders are identical. I am gonna start negotiations! Wish me luck, and keep the info going

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Yes Corey it's a fake radiator. The engine is a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel with the radiator mounted at the rt body side vent, driving a 40 Series Comet clutch and a variable-ratio pulley to a chain drive. All built from photos, full size with T axles and wheels. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Gary, thanks for posting the pictures. That's pretty neat. I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:19 am:

I have owned a few Reo's over the years, a 1912 8 passenger Reo 1 cylinder bus. A very easy vehicle to start and drive. My wife loved to drive it and was quite pissed when I sold it.

I have a 1907 Reo 2 cylinder gentleman's roadster(really barn fresh). An incredible tour car with many miles under our belt. I also have an unrestored 1913 4 cylinder roadster a former Yellowstone Service Vehicle with all the original graphics. This is a 4 cylinder lots of power and a kick to drive.

I have a 6 cylinder 1916 Reo motor that is powering a speedster project.

For some strange reason I have come to really like and enjoy Reo's. They are powerful reliable and real joy to drive.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:45 am:

I also like REO's. Presently have a 1905 1 cyl. Runabout and 1910 2 cyl. touring. The 1905 1 cyl. has been in our family since 1958 and the 2 cyl. since 1973. Besides touring with our model T, I love going on 1 & 2 cylinder tours with the HCCA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Great looking retro Gary. The Speed Wagon is a gorgeous piece. Attached is the Speed Wagon's predecessor, the 1911-1914 Model H Power Wagon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Not sure why the upload is not showing up...sorry?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

Here we go...1912 REO Model H high wheeler. Not shown are the top cover, rain curtains, fenders,
and motor shroud.
1912 REO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Well. I sealed the deal this evening. It's now mine. And it only cost me a lifetime collection of imperial oil signs cans and a pump hahaha. I hope this turn out. Not easy to find parts for a 1915 REO speedwagon. Thankfully it's complete with a rebuilt carburetor starter and generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

brasscarguy.....I'd love to see photos of your survivor Reos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Lots of reos around but not too active as far as clubs and events is what we found last year when we had a 15 roadster
in an auction. It brought 21000 and went to Maine. 6 cylinder nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Hi Rob, it's great to hear about such an unusual vehicle staying in our area. I will be going to Hershey again in October and could look for parts for you if you are unable to make it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, February 27, 2017 - 07:49 am:

Dave, it was originally purchased by a hardware store in Perth Andover area. Spent it's life there in storage. I believe it was Armstrongs who had the REO dealership. Should be an interesting restore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Saturday, July 01, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

It's here! In pieces, but complete and safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 04:30 am:

2 more pics of the replica...so much Ford T in there....lol

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration