Two Piece Fly Wheel Club

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Two Piece Fly Wheel Club
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

This is what happens when your Model T engine produces 400 pounds of torque coming off the line. It's a nice thought anyway.
I'm claiming innocence all though I was standing there. Mike and Nick are not guilty either. The front had already been turned and we should have only been taking weight of the outside couple of inches on the back side for the most part. Probably good it fell apart on the lathe.
We have to be able to laugh at our selves once in a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 02:04 am:

John, PM sent. See you at the speedster meet in Nebraska. The Wild Cherry II will be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 08:02 am:

A little J.B. Weld should fix that right up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 08:22 am:

I kept the first photo below from a few years ago. I forget who originally posted it and don't remember the outcome. This version leaves more meat in the center than thinning the section.

And through the magic of CGI, I made the second image version for future reference. I have not made one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 08:36 am:

John
Thanks for pointing out I wasn't at fault, heck I wasn't within 350 miles of this event.

Had I known you where headed in this direction I should have sent you home with this.

Smoke free but not playing well with others just yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Hang in there, Mike. It will get better. BTDT :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Are we talking about Smoking Cessation? I'm on day six. What's making it "easier" for me is having the flu. Can't take a puff without burning out the throat. Having Nicorette gum helps a lot too. :-)

Changing the morning habits has been the hardest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Forgot to mention:
Already have my eye on something with all the money I'll save. That helps keep the drive going too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:43 am:

Bride and I quit last year with hypnotism watching on TV with a disc. Started again six months later when my thirty two year old daughter with every advantage like Indian money and free health care moved home with a hundred pound dog constantly in my way.
Watch out for pressure you don't need while quitting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Mike, Good picture of an early fly wheel with the three fins used to direct oil under the triple gears. Late fly wheels do not have them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Someone sold a T flywheel in the last few months on ebay that was about the same size as the orange section.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Stephen: you are smarter than I. I didn't quit until I collapsed my left lung twice (I am a little hard headed) dang it is hard to breath when that happens!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

Stephen thank you for the pictures.
Hang in there on the non smoking. I quit almost 30 years ago. I had to quit drinking coffee in the morning for almost a year. Probably for almost that long when I would be talking with someone, I would just automatically reach in my shirt pocket for a smoke even though they were not there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

I was careful not to get too excited when I lightened mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

Mike so it looks like you just took it all off the crankshaft side of fly wheel side?
I didn't think you could shave that many pounds off that area.
Is there still room to put on a ring gear? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

I took lots of chips off both sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

I took mine down to just under 16 lbs. I was young and dumb! After several years of back and forth decisions as to wether or not to run the scary thin flywheel, I shrunk and bolted an aluminum ring on the front side to reinforce the flywheel around the triple gear pins. I then made a plate to capture the floating ends of the triple gear pins to prevent them from splaying under load. So far so good! The flywheel regularly runs 3000 rpm and has seen 4000 rpm many times.

After thousands of miles I still wonder if the starter bendix is going to break the flywheel off every time I push the button. But I figure the steel ring gear bolted to the flywheel will catch the big pieces and the cast iron scatter shield should hold back the rest of the the small stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:03 am:

I will assume that at 22 HP I don't have to weary about joining this club LOL Cheers Colin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration