How to convert Houk No. 4 wheels over to Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to convert Houk No. 4 wheels over to Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 11:43 am:

This discussion may have taken place before on the Forum. So far, I cannot seem to find it. I am helping another Model T Man to get a set of No. 4 Houk wire wheels ( 30 X 3-1/2 clinchers, with 6 pin drive ) modified to work. The No. 4 hub is one size larger than a stock T . These wheels may have come off an Overland as we tended to have a lot of that brand in my region.

For the rear wheels, can a rear stock Model T wood wheel hub be machined and grafted into the Houk hub? For the front wheels, is it better to use Overland spindles ( if so - what is best way to mate the T steering to fit) OR what bearings should be used in the Houk hub to nicely accept T spindles ?

Your suggestions and thoughts greatly appreciated. I know the No. 4's were used a lot by dirt track racers in the 20's so there must be some good knowledge out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Here's a long interesting 2013 thread on Houk wheels mentioning the No. 4 size used on a T.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/339031.html?1365555690

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

So how did the 2013 wheel project come out? Any sets of these sold in the past 4 years? In use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

The answers to Ed's questions vary. #4 Houk hubs were made for many different cars, so the bearing sizes vary by what the original vehicle needed. Some can be fitted to T spindles by careful bearing selection, some cannot. Sometimes a sleeve needs to be machined to adapt the fit. Sometimes a T wood wheel hub needs to be machined to fit inside a Houk front hub (also machined) then be attached (interference fit/heat/press/weld or braze). I am not familiar with Overland spindles, so cannot comment on them.

Rears are also different sizes. Axle sizes seem to be mostly around the 1-1/4" to 1-3/8" range. Some rears have "full floating bearing" pockets, some do not. I have seen Houk front hubs machined to receive a turned down T wood wheel rear hub, then permanently attached. You really want to be sure you have a T hub with good taper and keyway before you do this. I have also seen an insert made that is welded into a Houk rear, and has a T taper and keyway on the sleeve ID, and even a sleeve that fits the original Houk taper and key, with an internal T taper and key.

So it is a one-by-one decision: what works best for one person and application will likely be different than what works for another person and application.

Incidentally, be careful about crossing #4 Houk and #4 Hayes hubs. They look the same, and the drive pins appear to fit either wheel. However, Houks have 12 threads per inch, Hayes have 10 threads per inch. Houk caps are nickel plated bronze, and Hayes are solid german silver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Good stuff ! I appreciate this and any other ideas. If anyone has pictures of their finished product or adaption, that would be super.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Monday, February 20, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration