ANCO Timer Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: ANCO Timer Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

I had a NOS Anderson timer I wanted install this morning. The first problem I had when I installed the timer shield, it would not let the rotor go on all the way to install the cap pin. I took the shield off and installed the rotor. Next problem the brush cap will not fit over the rotor. The way the rotor is designed it will not let the cap fit over the pin. Has anyone had this problem? You can push the flapper down and put the cap on but then the flapper will not work. Thanks for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Do you have an aftermarket timing gear that is thicker than the original Ford gear, pushing the flapper too far forward?

Or maybe the parts were defective or mismatched when new, causing it to remain unused on a shelf - that's a problem with many NOS parts.. A picture would probably help explain the problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

First off, repro timer shields can vary in thickness, so you might have that issue.

Second, don't know if your NOS has all its parts, or a mix of Ford? The new Anderson has flapper made with a c-clip instead of rivet on the flapper axle.

Original Anderson flapper

With the c-clip design and the flapper on the new ones, a special cup is needed to retain the pin and fit to the flapper, that cup is notched to clear the flapper flip action.

You might want to get the new repro parts to secure your original flapper, or at least modify the cup by grinding away in that one area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

If you use a modern cam seal, you don't need the shield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Back when Frank Fenton had the Anderson business, his instructions said to remove the brass shield and felt, and to replace with a modern seal. I haven't gotten one from Hutch, so I don't know whether the instructions still say that.

Also, Frank had a narrower flapper assembly to work with thicker timing gears. I assume Hutch has those as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

What I do get the modern seal for the cam shaft and don't run a shield.
And leave it alone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Thanks to all and MTFCA, Dan, I did modify the retainer cup, did away with the shield and had already installed a new seal. Everything works fine, the mod on the cup was the problem.
Sam

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration