Starter bendix

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starter bendix
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Hello everyone,
I pulled my starter off to service it and found the bendix head was cracked. I bought a new one from the vendors and the question is what holds it on the bendix?
I see 4 cuts in the new head and presume you punch the center membrane down into the groove on the bendix?
Would that be correct? Thanks you for your help
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Hi Jim,

Yes, punch down the center strip. A flat blade screwdriver works well. I know, I know, we are not supposed to use a screwdriver as a punch or chisel.

WORDS OF CAUTION!

DO NOT, DO NOT strike the center portion TOO forcefully. If you do it can bind and not spin. You will then be sad. Better to sneak up on it with many light taps then one mighty blow. Just enough so that it will not come off. Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

These photos should help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration