Brass polish revisited

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brass polish revisited
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

I've been polishing my radiator and other brass parts recently, and I've used three of the polishes recommended in previous discussions on the subject. Cape Cod is good, and Prism is good. If one is any better than the other, I think Prism is slightly faster than Cape Cod in removing tarnish. The third one I've been using is Mother's. It's billed as being for aluminum and mag wheels, but is also good for brass. In fact, I think Mother's is somewhat faster in removing tarnish than the other two. None of them dissolves tarnish immediately on contact. They all take plenty of rubbing. But it seems to me that Mother's doesn't take quite as much. One guy's 2˘.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

I think you're right—any of those three are very good at polishing up dull brass,
but there's no panacea for brown, green or gray tarnish except a lot of
elbow-grease (plus any of the above, of course).

But you know what? _I'm tired of my all joints aching after polishing off the
winter tarnish. _Gonna get me a cheapie electric polisher of some kind and cheat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Step 1: Bar Keepers Friend liquid is great for effortless removing of tarnish. Follow up with a rinse. It will look dull after. Step 2: I polish with Simichrome. T vendors sell the small tubes, which don't go far. Order the cans online for a much better price. It keeps the shine better than anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Never had a brass-era car but in the military we used Never-Dull on brass with excellent results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

OH No not again, We're always looking for something new and the easiest way.

Steve, I'm sorry you didn't try out the Brite Boy metal polish on the tarnished brass first. I and a couple of others have referenced this product in the past. This is what the janitor people often use.

I think the CapeCod is the Only polish I have not tried. I've settled on the Prism, Blue Magic, and of course the Mothers. You have to say their BILLET polish because the regular alum wheel polish is not nearly as good as the Billet.

Once anyone has tried the Brite Boy for very dirty brass they will agree that it is one of the easiest and fastest to use. It's not the deep gloss but easiest to use first. I like the no washing afterwards.
I buy the Brite Boy by the Gallon and would gladly share some to anyone for a try.

Let us know which one last the longest if you remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

This is too damned easy. Work with me here .... This is a mental
issue:

Polished brass looks like a bad disco lounge. You would not wear
a lime green plaid polyester suit would you ? 18" "globe" or permed
afro ? So why would anyone think polished brass looks good either ?

Avoid the hassle and embarrassing bright brass and let it patina.

Problem solved, problem STAYS solved !

See ? Too damned easy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

HEY! whut's wrong wit dat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Per-zackly !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Never Dull did something to their product. Doesnt work worth crap any more. I have an almost full can I'll give away for rhe postage. I keep going back to blue magic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Burg, Ya, but It really boosts my EGO when people ask me if them thar lights and radiator are made of Gold1!

I've tried the patina and really like somewhere in between. If you can't drive your car out in the rain or a threat of it because of your polished brass you sure deprive yourself and others of a lot of great T time.

Tim or others, the offer of some Brite Boy still stands...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

The best brass polish I ever used was Tarnite, but they took it off the market because of some EPA bad "stuff" in it. Recently found Wright's Brass polish to be almost equal (and looked the same) except for that unique odor of the Tarnite and it's easy cleaning characteristic. My nose told me the missing ingredient was acetic acid! I bought a small bottle of it online and added just a bit to my Wrights, and presto, I had my best ever brass polish back again. I share it here with all, but please don't tell the EPA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

Hi Will, Thanks for a great suggestion!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Vinegar is diluted acetic acid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 07:55 am:

I have tried all the brass polishes.I was a dealer for Cape-cod polish. I used to use Semichrome polish for the bad spots and finish with cape-cod. A couple of years ago Cape-cod changed their formula. Someone told me about Prism. It is by far the best polish to date that I have used.
Will,Dave is correct, VINEGAR is Diluted acetic acid. That's why it's such a good cleaner!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:12 am:

I'm with Peter on this. _My favorite is Prism. _A little goes an incredibly long way, which makes it cheaper. _There's no avoiding hard-rubbing when it comes to removing stubborn tarnish, but if all you have to do is brighten up dull brass, Prism is easy as Windexing a pane of glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Prism is one of the polishes I use. It's OK stuff but a wipe down with Mother's after the Prism gives a better shine.

I often have to start with a blackened scratched up pile of poo. Sometimes a file comes first, then varying grades of sandpaper, then the buffing wheel with various grades of jewelers rouge in order to get the finish ready for polish. Polish is just the last thing that is done to maintain a buffed piece of brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:57 am:

That's too bad Tim. Never-Dull was good stuff back in the day.

Of course, I last used it in the military in1987. So it's been a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

If any of you have seen Pete Ratledge's car (1911 touring, loaded with brass), you'll know for sure that he knows what he's talking about! He drives the living snot of out it and yet it always looks Pebble Peach ready.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration