OT - The Glidden might be an OCF alternative for some.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - The Glidden might be an OCF alternative for some.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

The Glidden Tour is in eastern-central Nebraska, the the 17th - 22nd of September. Roads will for the most part be flat, and there will be many good attractions to see:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

I should add to my bucket list participating in a Glidden tour with a car of the type which entered an original Glidden tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:29 am:

I'm going to put in a request to the HR department to change my vacation dates, so I can attend this instead of the OCF. Since our week or longer vacation request deadline is in October for each following year, it's a long shot. But this sounds like fun event that's not mired in controversy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Schultz_Sheboygan,WI on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Thanks for the heads up on the Glidden Tour Rob. Thinking about driving my v8 flathead out for the tour. It is a 1940 so it is welcome. If we make it out I'll keep an eye out for for that long red car, and say hello from Badger country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, February 17, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

Rob,
Are the routes going to be favorable for 1&2 cylinder cars, or would it be better suited for a Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Eric,
I spoke with another New London to New Brighton regular from the east coast (who is also choosing the Glidden over OCF), and we talked about looking into a lower mileage route alternative if we have enough early cars.

Two years ago when we had two Model K on the tour, keeping up wasn't an issue. In fact, one time we (two K) left the last stop a little late, so we jumped on the Interstate to move quickly back to the event hotel. You should have seen the looks from the 20's and 30's tour participants as we pulled off the Interstate exit, suddenly leading the pack again..... Priceless.

Anyway, I'll check with the tour director. The routes will be easy to travel, and we'll see if there is a chance we could design even friendlier alternate routes for older cars if we have several. Considering the Glidden came into being when the earliest brass cars were new, I would think the organizers might be excited to have some examples of the early Glidden participants on the tour.

Model T will have no trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Here's the tour website: http://www.gliddentour.org/.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Eric -

If you're willing to trailer that far, the HCCA is having its 1-and 2-cylinder tour in Virginia the same week as the Glidden tour. But, unlike Nebraska, there WILL be hills!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

The only Glidden tour I'll be doing this year is using Glidden paint and touring from room to room in my house! I hate painting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

We did a HCCA Midwest Tour there maybe 8 years ago. We had a nice time. Lots of neat stuff to see. The museum in Minden is about the neatest thing outside of The Henry Ford I've been to. The ammo factory was real interesting also. Shoot, it was all good!!!
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

I have been on a few Glidden Tours-Pennsylvania, Upper Michigan, the 1996 (?) Cross Country Glidden that that met in Detroit for the Automobile Centennial, and one or two others that I can't remember. These are really great tours. The tour committees put a lot of time and effort into these events and you will be treated very well. If you haven't been on one, you are missing out on automotive history. Believe me, they are WAY more fun than OCF!!! You get to enjoy your car for five full days, meet great people and probably experience a part of America that you haven't seen before. DO IT!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration