Manifold gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Manifold gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

I am changing my intake and carb on my 27. My question is I bought steel glands and Cooper gaskets. Should I spray them with the high temp permatex copper sealer. The manifold is straight and ready to go. So any other suggestions on how or what you guys put on the gaskets or on the glands. I looked up threads on line but it had many opinions so any help or suggestions are appreciated? The manifold is a Wilmo..Thanks in advance Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

If the block and manifolds are smooth and square no sealant is needed. The copper rings will provide a good seal. I would recommend tightening the manifold again after a heat cycle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

The rings are steel. The gaskets are copper. Thats was what langs suggested. Should I order something else a different gland? Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

If everything is OK as John mentioned go with the copper compression rings and steel glands. I went that route and everything worked out fine. Any other set up and you are asking for a warped exhaust manifold. Just my two cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:54 am:

I use both steel glands and copper rings. In addition, I use a small amount of high temp. red Silicone sealant on the copper rings to help eliminate any leaks. The added sealant may be an "Over Kill" to some.....however I have not had any problems with leaks provided every thing is straight and flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 01:32 am:

Yes, the steel rings and copper crush gaskets are best. The biggest little word in the English language is if. IF the surfaces are smooth and flat you can probably get by without any sealant. But in the real world not all surfaces are ideal, and some high-temp RTV isn't a bad idea. It doesn't take much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 06:25 am:

I just add a little Permatex ultra black sealant to the intake rings only. There really is no reason to do the exhaust ones in my opinion as any leakage would be minimal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Watch the thickness of the steel rings as some of them are too wide so you can't tighten the manifold enough to crush the copper rings.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration